Dive Boat Sank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were not overweight. The boat was able to take 20 persons on board and we were 13 when we leave the hotel. 3 divemasters, 1 captain, 1 crew and 8 divers.

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Lilipucek! So glad everyone is safe!

Did you lose your gear, or were you in it when the boat was swamped?

Lilipucek, when the divemasters went into the water, were all three of them in the water?

At that time, had the eight divers put their gear on? In other words, when the boat started taking on water, did everyone have their scuba gear on?

Thank you Jax !

Yes, I'm glad too that everyone was able to exit the boat. When we sink I was only with my wet suit. All the other stuff sank with the boat. I was not geared because we were waiting for our dive masters to come back to the boat. But we were able to get it back when the staff of the company get it out the boat after the event.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 08:15 PM ----------

Hi Ron Lee,

When we were close to the dive site, one of the divemaster go in the water to be sure we were at the right place. At this moment, we were all gear up with our stock. After 45 minutes to look for him, we were worried that something happens to him. So we put away all our gear and help the other two divemasters to look at him. Soon after this, they decide to go (2 divemasters) to get in the water to look for the first divemaster. After 5 minutes, they get out the water and reach another place to check again. During all this time, we were making circle around the area to check to our divemasters.

Soon after this, they decide to go (2 divemasters) to get in the water to look for the first divemaster. After 5 minutes, they get out the water and reach another place to check again. During all this time, we were making circle around the area to check to our divemasters.

So, after five minutes, all three divemasters got out of the water?

Lilipucek, it is great that everyone was fine. Were you picked up by another boat quickly?

Did the boat sink to the bottom (sand) or did it remain partially on the surface?

No, after 45 minutes waiting for the first divemaster (who was checking for the diving site), the 2 divemasters (who were worried about their partner) decided to search him and go into the water, after they were searching him for 5 minutes, they came back on the boat, change the place to look for him and go again in the water. After this, the boat begin to take water and the problems begin (while all our divemasters was under water).

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 09:00 PM ----------

We wait approximately 45 minutes in the water before a boat was able to take all of us. Many boats came, but they were already full of people and they could only take 1 or 2 persons at a time (lady first...) But nobody wanted to leave their husband or fellow behind. So we decided to stay all together and wait for a bigger boat.

Where we sink, the water was approximately 15 to 20 feet depth and the boat was all into the water (because he was on his right side). In this position he was touching the reef. The captain stay on it and with help (one of our partner) he was able to turn it. The boat was now standing straight (i'm not sure if it's the good words). In this position, the top of the flybridge and the antenna was outside the water. In this position, he was also touching the reef.

Reactions: Jax
Wow, they had a DM gone for 45 minutes? I take it that he was eventually found. Not getting a clear idea on all this still...?

I don't quite reach your level if paranoia (then again, my wetsuit can function as a floating chair, so no need for a snorkel vest) but I agree. If you are moving people to weight a boat taking on water, it is a reasonable time for life vests.
Well, I don't wear a wet suit diving Coz for one, but they won't function as a life vest if you fail off of or exit a boat injured or unconscious. Wearing a life vest on a moving boat is as good of an idea as seat belts in cars. It took me a while to learn the importance of both, but most people will wear the belts in vehicles now - yet not vests on boats. I have climbed forward to the bow on a moving boat without one in years past and you still see it done.

Exactly - 3 dive guides tells me that they were over capacity from the start - even if one of them was a private DM or instructor

What I was told directly from someone who was on the boat was that there were three DMs with four divers with each DM. Allowing for a minor numerical error, eleven reported divers from other sources here, that's consistent. They were to dive Punta Sur listed as a more experienced dive so maybe that's what drove four divers per guide.

Did all three dive masters finally surface and picked up by a boat? That a divemaster would be gone for 45 minutes seems odd. Procedures can vary but I only recall divemasters getting in the water to visually look at the location and conditions underwater. All the while they stayed on the surface of the water.

Was the desired dive site Devils' Throat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom