Dive boat security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thief would have to be pretty stupid to steal something identifiable in a small isolated group on a boat. If the loss was spotted the cops could be waiting at the pier to search everybody. The only exception would be unidentifiable money and nobody that I know carries much cash on a dive.
I think natural breakages and losses and accidental swaps of unmarked gear represent the totality of what you can expect.

I have never had to worry about things getting stolen on a dive boat. Kicked out from under the seat and then stepped on. Inadvertently borrowed for a second.

There was a time when a student's top came up missing. She was stuck wearing only her bikini for the rest of the trip. Funny thing how the top was found just as we pulled into the boat slip and by the captain no less. Hmnnnn???

NetDoc:
Funny thing how the top was found just as we pulled into the boat slip and by the captain no less. Hmnnnn???

LOL how much did you have to pay the captain? :)

Steve

NetDoc:
There was a time when a student's top came up missing. She was stuck wearing only her bikini for the rest of the trip. Funny thing how the top was found just as we pulled into the boat slip and by the captain no less. Hmnnnn???
Now that’s funny.

I guess what I am getting from all of these replies is, it is not an issue, out of sight out of mind and I don’t take it if don’t need it.

Orlando Eric:
There has always been at least one scuba cop on every dive I have been on.

Imagine that....... :eyebrow:

Heffey:
I am curious how safe a diver’s personal belongings and equipment are while the diver is in the water.

I've heard rumours about a certain Red Sea liveaboard where the crew went through the divers belongings during the week. Once back in the UK, one of them found a number of calls to the Emirates and Yemen on his cell phone bill :11: I believe the story was on Diverforum.co.uk but I can't find it anymore.

I've never had anything stolen on the day boats out of Sharm and Hurghada that I've had the pleasure to be on, though on one occasion someone in the first group to kit up and hit the water had swiped the weights from my equipment crate. So I swiped someone elses :wink:

Mostly on the type of diveboat and who you are diving with... if with strangers more caution is needed than if diving with a group you're traveling with from the local shop. Liveaboard boats have never been a concern. I think you should go diving and leave the worries at home... enjoy!

Heffey:
I am curious how safe a diver’s personal belongings and equipment are while the diver is in the water.
Are there any safeguards you use or do you feel this is a non issue?
I have never been on a dive boat so I really don’t know what to expect.
Now, before you start, I’m not going to buy any scuba police answers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom