Dive Computers (Suunto vs Oceanic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have all Oceanic and the service on the few issues I have had have been great. Sent on VEO-250 back to US from Oz and about 2 weeks later fixed and back. Have 2 Pro Plus 2 and they are great, had a VEO-100Nx and it was ok but too basic for me. Progressed to Petrels for tech diving with Pro Plus 2's for recreational diving.

Have a friend who has used Suunto and he said the service sucks (he has Oceanic as well), had a fault on it and was trying to clarify that it was a fault by ringing for support. He spoke to a non Oz service tech, hard to understand, and her help was to keep referring him to a page in the instructions which he knew and had looked at which did not resolve the problem at all. It took 30 min before she understood and then offered to research more and email with the solution. You guessed it, the solution was to refer to the page previously discussed so she was of no help at all, and yes his suunto had a fault in it. He said he will never buy Suunto again.

For me I like quality product and good after sales service and I have had that from Oceanic so I stick to what I know.

Last edited:
if you are aware of the kinds of behaviors that the Suunto RGBM algorithm seems to weight more heavily in reducing no-deco time, you can easily adjust your behavior to maximize your no-deco time if that's your major concern: slow ascents, long-ish surface intervals, avoid reverse profiles, go easy on the multi-day repetitive diving, always a safety stop, etc.

Some of these I knew but a couple I did not. Is there are good reference for this or do I need to just hunt around the web and pick it up in bits and pieces?

nv,
whatever brand / model you end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Some of these I knew but a couple I did not. Is there are good reference for this or do I need to just hunt around the web and pick it up in bits and pieces?

You can start by googling "bruce wienke" He is a nuclear scientist and the brains behind the RGBM model. That will lead you to some article's, video's, interviews and some Suunto videos. RGBM and the concept is actually rather fascinating, at least to me. Dude is on a whole 'nother level :) Lorenzoid had it right in that "you can easily adjust your behavior", etc. I've never had issues using the RGBM model or Suunto being "too conservative", and all that jazz.

You can start by googling "bruce wienke" He is a nuclear scientist and the brains behind the RGBM model. That will lead you to some article's, video's, interviews and some Suunto videos. RGBM and the concept is actually rather fascinating, at least to me. Dude is on a whole 'nother level :) Lorenzoid had it right in that "you can easily adjust your behavior", etc. I've never had issues using the RGBM model or Suunto being "too conservative", and all that jazz.

Steve_C and muzikbiz22, these are some of my guesses based on what little I've read about RGBM in general plus my personal experience with my Suunto and what I've heard other divers said. So take it as the anecdotal evidence it is. I don't have any solid information on Suunto's implementation of RGBM because as far as I know it's proprietary. By the way, I believe I heard someone mention sawtooth profiles as another one that might be on that list. But again, it's anyone's guess.

Steve_C and muzikbiz22, these are some of my guesses based on what little I've read about RGBM in general plus my personal experience with my Suunto and what I've heard other divers said. So take it as the anecdotal evidence it is. I don't have any solid information on Suunto's implementation of RGBM because as far as I know it's proprietary. By the way, I believe I heard someone mention sawtooth profiles as another one that might be on that list. But again, it's anyone's guess.

I believe you are correct in that Suunto's implementation is a proprietary one. I will say that I dive/have dove a variety of different profiles including reverse profiles, as well as multi day, etc., and I have never found myself saying "Gee whiz, my D4i isn't letting me dive the way I want too". Again, that's just me, YMMV.

I had a divebuddy whose computer was more conservative than my Suunto Vyper on air, but supposedly very liberal on nitrox. It was a Uwatec Aladin. Even diving identical profiles(even first dive of the day and even when we'd had a day off diving), when I was well within limits, her Aladin was often showing a deco obligation, she'd gotten so used to it showing deco when staying with buddies that she was kinda blasé about it.

That's something to consider, if you know your computer is overly conservative, then bending/breaking the limits doesn't seem so dangerous because hey overly conservative computer.

I believe you are correct in that Suunto's implementation is a proprietary one. I will say that I dive/have dove a variety of different profiles including reverse profiles, as well as multi day, etc., and I have never found myself saying "Gee whiz, my D4i isn't letting me dive the way I want too". Again, that's just me, YMMV.

It seems likely that there isn't any one behavior by itself but rather various behaviors in certain combinations that trigger the Suunto to reduce no-deco time to the point that a diver might feel like it's impacting his diving. I have to admit I have seen people swear that their Suuntos give them significantly less no-deco time than their buddy's computer. I'd be interested in seeing their dive profiles. But like you, I haven't found my D6 to limit my diving to any extent I find bothersome.

Significantly less no deco time, like 20 to 30 minutes, has been my experience. When i dive with two computers the Suunto is in gauge mode so i don't have deal with the nonsense it spits out.

Significantly less no deco time, like 20 to 30 minutes, has been my experience. When i dive with two computers the Suunto is in gauge mode so i don't have deal with the nonsense it spits out.

Not sure what to say other than it would be interesting to see the dive profiles, surface intervals, etc. As far as I know, I haven't experienced a situation where someone diving with me had 20+ mins. more no-deco time when mine was near zero.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom