Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

288 Lake - 1/1/15

temp - 57 degrees, viz 3-5 feet, post-dive hot chocolate and Baileys - tasty.

01/06/2015

Canyon Lake, Boat Ramp No. 1
Water temp: 53 degrees at 50ffw.
Visibility: 5-8ft.

01/20/2015

Canyon Lake, Boat Ramp No. 1

Water temp: 50 degrees at 50ffw.
Visibility: 5-8ft.

Yesterday was a gorgeous day to be offshore! Heading out from South Padre Island to the Texas Clipper, the significant wave height was "2 feet or less" and certainly erred more towards the "or less." It was flat, flat, flat and the warming sun more than made up for the cool breeze. Diving was decent, temperatures were significantly warmer than I expected with the water column hovering around a frigid 56F while the bottom was a warmer 61F. I dove in my 5mm wetsuit and was warm enough, visibility on the Texas Clipper ranged from 5-15 feet. I did a rather short, 30 minute, dive but stayed deep nearly the entire time, 105-118 feet, just skirting my NDC limits. Lots of fish around including two large Lionfish out and actively moving along the super structure... Long but very fulfilling day!

Spring Lake, San Marcos

Vis: 60'+
Temp: same
Spring Flow: 161cfs

The lake looks fantastic. Three of us did the Cream of Wheat to Catfish Hotel run. All the shallow transition spots between sites are clear. Very little Coonstail on the bottom and most of the sides are clear. The cutter boat hasn't been functional in a couple of weeks so the vis was outstanding (no diatoms in the water).

The major change is that ALL divers are required to pay for parking ($3 a day or $7 weekly). You get your ticket by the visitor's center. Still no operating compressor for fills and there seems to be a p##sing match going on about the use of the changing room/shower.

Next they will charge $5/dive for yellow suit rentals for volunteering.

Spring Lake, San Marcos

Even though the air temp was a brisk 36 degrees, water temp was a constant, nice 70 degrees. Viz was good despite it being overcast.

You don't have to pay for parking on Saturday or Sunday.

The training area has changed significantly since the Aquarena days - all of the old man-made structures are gone. The only remnant is the clamshell. They've put a few small platforms in the training area for o/w classes. The springs are still the same though. It was nice diving there again. Kind of like seeing an old friend.

The lake was busy last weekend in spite of the air temps - there were a few open water classes in the training area, a Dive Authorization Class (formerly the Scientific Diver class), some sort of naturalist program, and several volunteer divers. It's great to have it open for diving again.

There is a LDS in San Marcos now. Even though you can't get air fills at the lake, you could drive over there to top off your tanks, but you might want to call first. I believe they close at 6:00 pm on Saturday and aren't open on Sunday.

There are still some additional remnants of underwater theater (like the "volcano") located to the NE of the training area. They just haven't gotten the lift bags to return them (one term in the contract required all man made items in the TA to be removed from the site). In addition, Aaron and company were able to "hide" the floating dock to save it.

While it is nice to be able to seem Diversion and the hump into Cream of Wheat from the TA, I miss swimming under the old sub to leave the TA.

22 mile offshore rig from Freeport TX Sunday 22 March 2015

1-2 foot seas, strong surface current 0-15 feet, no current below 15 feet. Visibility between 0-15 foot depths was 20 feet, at 15 feet there was some sort of interface similar to one between fresh/salt water or a thermocline. Below 15 foot depths, 50+ visibility.

Descent rapidly through 15 feet or use descent line to avoid strong surface current.

Surface 71 degrees, at 73 feet 59 degrees.

Atlantic Spade, Ladyfish, Triggerfish, Hind Grouper, Sheephead, Butterfly fish, Purple/Yellow fish similar to Fairy Bassetts, Red Snapper.

2015-03-21 & 22
Mansfield Dam, Lake Travis
Vis was quite good this weekend. 15+ feet or so, especially Sunday with the sun up! Still fairly cold at depth.

Back
Top Bottom