Dive Knife in your checked bags???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave76

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I will be diving aboard the Galapagos Aggressor 2 Jul through 10 Jul. I was wondering what experiences people have had carrying dive knives in their checked bags? Not sure whether to risk having a nice knife confiscated. Any experiences?:confused:

Dave

I travel with my dive gear every other month. I have a knife attached to my BC in my checked bags. I've never had a problem.

Because of the dive gear they always inspect my checked bags, but I have never had them refuse the bag or remove any gear.

I am currently on a trip in South Florida. The bag was x-rayed and inspected in California. The TSA folks did something interesting. They left a note inside my checked bag, telling me that they inspected the bag. They also zip tied the main zipper. Since I can't carry any sharp objects on the plane, I had no easy way of cutting the zip tie. I ended up using my rental car key as a saw. I took a while, but I cut through it.

Have a wonderful trip

Regards

I have had ten plane flights with my dive knife in my packed bags. Never had a problem or even a comment from any of the airlines.

:)

I've flown stateside and Jamaica with my knife in the checked bags. Flew out of D.C National. No problems.

Although never a dive knife, I have checked various pocket knives without a problem. Just make sure to double check they don't end up in the carry on bags.

I have a little knife attached to the inflator hose on my reg. I forgot about it and carried it aboard. They inspected it, didn't notice the knife and I was allowed on.

Does this make ya feel any safer? Of course I don't fit the usual terrorist profile. Old fart in an aloha shirt heading for maui doesn't raise too many eyebrows.

Thanks all...Sounds like I'll be carrying my knife to the Galapagos!:D

Dave

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
I have a little knife attached to the inflator hose on my reg. I forgot about it and carried it aboard. They inspected it, didn't notice the knife and I was allowed on.

Does this make ya feel any safer? Of course I don't fit the usual terrorist profile. Old fart in an aloha shirt heading for maui doesn't raise too many eyebrows.

Guess the terrorists know what to wear now, but how they'll do old I don't know, not too many old suicide bombers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom