Dive knife, is it really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A DM in Puget Sound found an octopus and started playing with it, to entertain his students. The octopus liked him so much it wrapped its tentacle around his arm and wouldn't let go. After many minutes of trying to persuade the octo to let go, he finally had to gently cut its tentacle. Not enough to cut it off, just enough get it to release.

Considering I've seen bigger octopi in your area, I'd have one handy, just in case. Eventually us mammals have to surface for air.

Now here is a classic example why a diver NEEDS a knife. To cut marine life after you harass it for entertainment purposes.:wink:

I hope you don't use that as an example when teaching your classes?

I've still got my stainless steel knife I bought 8 years ago when I started. I used it this week for the first time in earnest. The boat managed to pick up an old piece of discarded mooring line around the prop and shaft. I needed the saw blade on the top edge to cut that baby away!!!!!!!!! That stuff was just so tight in and heavy, just goes to show, you need different tools for each job.

I dive with one of two or both cutting instruments. The first is always on my gear. It's small. It's easily attached and moved to the side out of the way. It has a serated side, straight knife part, and little line hook.

blrk3b.jpg

The other is a basic set of EMT Shears. If you buy them at a dive shop you pay WAY more than I'll ever pay for them. They're designed to be disposable, used for "the moment" in an emergency. Sure they'll work afterwards to. Outside of a dive shop I've purchased them for as cheap as $2.25 a pair (as low as .99 online) and the funny thing, they looked just like the ones at the shop for $15! The difference was I bought them at Walgreens 1 block away. They even had the same "China" stamp on the plastic, etc... looked the same in a side by side comparison.

Hey, here's one with a USA stamp - $6

a2006emt.jpeg

Don't know who makes it, but every dive shop has them. It's about 5 inches in length and has these tiny rubber straps that wrap around and button on any of my hoses. You pinch the sides of the handle to release it. It works great, is small and then I have the steel to plunge into the cranium of any sea monster that has the guts to come after me.

Also it's a really good idea to have it when you need it, rather than the opposite.

I agree with those who thinks that the op needs to look at a better way to secure his knife, and that despite only using it to slice limes for after dive beer it is something you want to have with you.

I still have my original dive knife from '77 but rarely wear it when diving anymore since I now carry a smaller knife attached to BC, and when diving ocean I carry shears and line cutter as well. Steel leaders can be a royal beotch.

Both my knives are Wenoka dive knives, in stainless, and with normal use and minimal care( rinse and dry before stowing) have given me trouble free service and though rarely used for entanglements (i prefer to note and avoid rather than unentangle myself) I am always glad to have one handy.

JMHO, YMMV :)

I think knives are lost because they are often stowed in pretty innacessable places. For instance, I tried out the classic LLoyd Bridges: knife strapped to the leg, and I could barely get it out when wearing a drysuit, stage bottle, etc. Getting it back in, much less trying to find the sheath by feel in my $1000.00 drysuit and 7mm gloves just wasn't working.
Same thing for a belt sheath, easy to find, hard to replace.
OTOH, a z-knife on the wrist computer strap is easy to deploy and replace, I've also seen some cutters that attach to a console.
I now use the UK Remora Titanium UK Remora Titanium BC knife, Underwater Kinetics which attaches to any strap, mounted on my SPG hose. When I need it, I can unhook the SPG from my belt, bring it up to where I can see it, and deploy/replace the knife. It locks securely in.
BTW, I've never needed it, so far.

"Seat belts - are they really necessary when driving?"

:shakehead:

Losing your knife should not prompt you to ask whether it's necessary, but rather ask for tips on how to attach it. Obviously, you haven't found a way to attach it yet that works for you.

Great, maybe you can share your words of wisdom with the new divers and tell them how and where you attach your knife onto you. :D

I had two dive buddies that dropped their knife,sheath, straps etc. One fell off after the giant stride, the other some where in the kelp forest. I think they get stuck in kelp more than anything except for regulators.
I only use one if I am expecting giant squid attacks. Otherwise I carry EMT shears. I used them once to cut away a crab trap rope from a prop shaft. But they are obviously better than a knife. Ever see an EMT pull a Rambo knife to cut a bandage off?

Back
Top Bottom