dive master

would u use a dive master to dive a new spot

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba dew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
iam looking for work as a dive master can some one help me out in finding a job as a dive master thanks

Derick

727-946-8590

Your poll is not that easy to answer. It depends on the location and difficulty of the dive. Your best bet for finding work is to try your local dive shops. There really isn't a great deal of work for guides unless you are connected with a shop or website. I do some work with both a shop and a website as well as the aquarium but I just do the work for fun. There isn't really any money in it.

Whenever I dive a new location, I dive it with someone who's done it before - if possible. That person could be a dive buddy or a DM.

In this area (Pasco county) you might be hard pressed to find a paying gig as a DM as most shops want to be able to sell specialties (continuing education) whenever possible. That means sending an Instructor on the dive boat or on trips. You may want to try some of the larger dive boats, they may employee a DM, but you'll be working for tips. One place you can try is the Florida Aquarium in down town Tampa. They occasionally hire part time DM's. My guess however, is that it's more of a ride from Holiday to Tampa than it's woth for a part time job.

iam looking for work as a dive master can some one help me out in finding a job as a dive master thanks

Derick

727-946-8590

Before a shop turns you loose with their customers on a trip, they are going to have to know you. Most shops around here "grow their own DM's" and are particular about whom they employ. They're going to want to know if you are good with people, are you patient, courteous, dependable, trustworthy, knowledegable, do you conduct yourself in a professional manner in and out of the water? Finally, are you a good diver? Remember, as a DM, you're representing a business. I've said all the above not to question your abilities or skills, but to give you an insight on what the shop (where I'm an Instructor) looks for in a DM. In other words, you're going to have to pay your dues. If I can be of any help, just shoot me a PM and we'll talk. Good luck. :D :palmtree: Bob

Last edited:
Do you have a boat? It would be useful to have a divemaster that knew the good scalloping spots

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
Do you have a boat? It would be useful to have a divemaster that knew the good scalloping spots

You get into a whole new kind of mess taking people out on a boat. The liability is way to much to chance. First you have to be a Captain in order to charge and second as a professional diver the responsibilty of the others would be significant. You would have a major issue if something happened. There is a very good chance that his liability insurance would not cover him if he were out running a trip on a boat with no Captains license.
I don't know how much experience he has as a Divemaster but there is a significant amount of liability issues that have to be considered before guiding any kind of trip. So I would recommend that he spend some time working along with another DM or an Instructor to show him the ropes and help him get some experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom