Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is good news then because after reading this thread, I am definitely upgrading from baby shampoo to Listerine!

Go figure; I wouldn't have expected divers to be such a fastidious lot. :D

Go figure; I wouldn't have expected divers to be such a fastidious lot. :D

I pack a few rolls of extra soft TP just in case. One in each foot pocket of my fins.

I wash my wetsuit in a disinfectant called Dettol, and its great for boots as well. Kills all the wet dog smell that inevitably happens over a week of diving and wet suit remaining wet.

I wash it and dont rinse and the Dettol kills the bugs and makes it smell nice.

Brave girl to go commando in a rental though. Not so much because others have peed in it, but you do wonder how well its washed and disinfected given its a rental. You have my vote for being a heroine.

In this long thread, did any of the dive ops like Aldora or BXT, who typically provide that extra touch of service, address the issues in handling wetsuits? It would obviously be an amenity appreciated by some divers so there must be reasons why they feel it isn't worth the cost/time/risk/etc. to provide it. It doesn't seem to present any special challenges to TP. The wetsuit gets rinsed and hung just like your BC.

In this long thread, did any of the dive ops like Aldora or BXT, who typically provide that extra touch of service, address the issues in handling wetsuits? It would obviously be an amenity appreciated by some divers so there must be reasons why they feel it isn't worth the cost/time/risk/etc. to provide it. It doesn't seem to present any special challenges to TP. The wetsuit gets rinsed and hung just like your BC.
I deal with my own wetsuit. It doesn't present any special challenges to me, either.

I don't need a dive professional handling my wetsuit. It's a hygenic violation I would demand of no one.

I will rinse it nice and thoroughly and hang it up myself with pleasure.

If I need to take it with me, it gets stuffed in the dive bag, slung over my shoulder, and away I go.

25 pages of hullabaloo here, IMO.

So funny. The very idea of throwing my bathing suit on the floor of a shower makes me itchy. :p I dump my suit in fresh water in the sink, usually with a little shampoo or liquid handsoap, eventually to be rinsed and hung to dry. There are generally 3 suits in my luggage but there have been days where the suit from the day before was dry, so I wore it again, messing up the rotation. Now, through the information gathered within this thread, I shan't allow that to happen again. I'd hate to think that someone assumed that I hadn't washed my suit the day before!

I like Dettol for suit and bootie cleaning but don't pack it on trips, so unfortunately, not a workable solution on vacation. I used to put a little hand sterilization gel into my booties with some water but was told that the alcohol was bad, not for the neoprene but for the glue. After 200 dives, I got new booties and then didn't use alcohol anymore, so those are still going strong after many hundreds more. Even so, I bought another pair of new booties anyway. They too are doing well after a hundred or more dives.

For the past few years, I've been diving all around the world. A number of the dive ops and/or lobs have been attaching a tag to my gear and wetsuit. Seems to take some of the guess work out of it for them. And I don't overly concern myself about the crew having to deal with my suit after a day's dives. Apparently, my kidneys are failing because I've made it through the last couple hundred dives without sullying my suit. Thank heavens most of the places I've been lately have facilities that I can access quickly!

Dettol must be really expensive, I've never noticed. Considering how many ops have been complaining, you'd think they could invest in a few gallons, and put a little in the rinse tanks now and again.

Who knows, that might help Francesca out too. :wink:

Last edited:
So funny. The very idea of throwing my bathing suit on the floor of a shower makes me itchy. :p I dump my suit in fresh water in the sink, usually with a little shampoo or liquid handsoap, eventually to be rinsed and hung to dry. There are generally 3 suits in my luggage but there have been days where the suit from the day before was dry, so I wore it again, messing up the rotation. Now, through the information gathered within this thread, I shan't allow that to happen again. I'd hate to think that someone assumed that I hadn't washed my suit the day before!

I like Dettol for suit and bootie cleaning but don't pack it on trips, so unfortunately, not a workable solution on vacation. I used to put a little hand sterilization gel into my booties with some water but was told that the alcohol was bad, not for the neoprene but for the glue. After 200 dives, I got new booties and then didn't use alcohol anymore, so those are still going strong after many hundreds more. Even so, I bought another pair of new booties anyway. They too are doing well after a hundred or more dives.

For the past few years, I've been diving all around the world. A number of the dive ops and/or lobs have been attaching a tag to my gear and wetsuit. Seems to take some of the guess work out of it for them. And I don't overly concern myself about the crew having to deal with my suit after a day's dives. Apparently, my kidneys are failing because I've made it through the last couple hundred dives without sullying my suit. Thank heavens most of the places I've been lately have facilities that I can access quickly!

Dettol must be really expensive, I've never noticed. Considering how many ops have been complaining, you'd think they could invest in a few gallons, and put a little in the rinse tanks now and again.

Who knows, that might help Francesca out too. :wink:

Often Dettol is hard to get depending on the dive location. I take some with me so I can ensure my gear is cleaned properly at the end of the diving. I usually thow it in the wash tank and let everyone use it. I dont pee in my wetsuit so thats not an issue for me as such, I just like killing the mouldy dog smell

Hey Chilly. I agree on the swimsuits and rental shower floors. I take mine into the shower and was under the stream then hang to drip until I finish my shower then hang them to dry. Seems 3 suits are the standard. :D

And I am pretty sure Dettrol has isopropyl alcohol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom