Dive Rite BP/W Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willuw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi Guys,

I am starting Intro to Cave soon so Im looking into getting back into a BP/W setup.

I can get an excellent deal on Dive Rite and have decided on the ss backplate, hog harness, and possibly the Venture wing. I have a couple of questions however.

1. Is there any reason for an STA for this setup other then the fact of quick switching between singles and doubles? It seems that the STA would align with the wings cam bands so it would not provide any more adjustability it seems. The only questionable advantage I can see would be for added stability.

2. The Venture wing is a good bit too big, 45 Lbs is a lot of unnecessary lift, but there only other option is the 30lb Travel wing - but it's square shape makes me question its performance. I don't use more then 8lbs of ballast so 45 is indeed overkill - even with additional equipment. Would it be worth it to go for an oxycheq wing? I'd have to pay a bit more - so it would need to be significantly worth it. Any problems with the oxycheq wing+DR backplate? Seems to be the standard 11" holes.

Anything else you would like to throw in feel free!

Thanks guys!
Will

Any problems with the oxycheq wing+DR backplate? Seems to be the standard 11" holes.

That's what I use for my "singles rig" and like it much better than the DR RecWing I originally had. More lift than you need = extra material flopping around and creating drag.

I use a Halcyon weighted STA with mine. It's a touch more stable than without the STA, and lets me put a few more pounds on my back vs on a belt. In fact in freshwater with a steel tank I don't need any extra lead with this set-up.

That's what I use for my "singles rig" and like it much better than the DR RecWing I originally had. More lift than you need = extra material flopping around and creating drag.

I use a Halcyon weighted STA with mine. It's a touch more stable than without the STA, and lets me put a few more pounds on my back vs on a belt. In fact in freshwater with a steel tank I don't need any extra lead with this set-up.

Which wing? I am leaning towards the above setup except w/ an oxy wing. 30# is still serious overkill for me - even with additional equipment. I have no use for a weighted STA as I wear 8 pounds of ballast at a maximum! (Usually 4-6).

I am thinking the oxy 18# signature would be plenty and make for a more streamlined rig then the 30#

You're starting cave training with a single tank? I don't know where you are planning to take your training, but I can tell you this... The exposure protection you're going to need to wear to stay warm in class, is going to require more than an 18# wing to hold up at the surface.

Best of luck with your class.

You're starting cave training with a single tank? I don't know where you are planning to take your training, but I can tell you this... The exposure protection you're going to need to wear to stay warm in class, is going to require more than an 18# wing to hold up at the surface.

Best of luck with your class.

No no..
The BP/W setup as a whole is for cave - I have my doubles wing figured out already - its my singles setup I am having the issues with. I figured since I gotta get a setup for doubles - I might as well use it for singles too.

I am thinking the best option for this is to keep the diverite backplate/harness and go with the oxy 18# travel wing + lightweight STA. According to the oxycheq site - I need an STA if I am not using an oxy plate.

What kind of exposure suit are you wearing with singles? With an AL80 (-4), a SS plate (-5), and a few pounds on your belt (-4) you're getting awfully close to the limit of an 18# wing.

What kind of exposure suit are you wearing with singles? With an AL80 (-4), a SS plate (-5), and a few pounds on your belt (-4) you're getting awfully close to the limit of an 18# wing.

That is what I am worried about. If I am wearing a low ballast (~4lbs) more then likely nothing more then lycra, if im wearing ~8 usually a 3mil w/ 2mil hood. I just wish they had something in between 18-30#. DSS seems to be only one with a wing in between. Might just have to go with the Mach V 30# just to be safe.

When I moved to a BP/W (dive rite ss plate/rec wing) I began with just cam bands thru the plate. I found sometimes the tank would be a bit sloppy and may lean to one side or another. It seemed the slots in the plate allowed some room for tilt. Once I switched to a STA, it seemed to get rid of this. As an added bonus, it weighs a couple of pounds which came off my belt. Hope it helps.

Dan

When I moved to a BP/W (dive rite ss plate/rec wing) I began with just cam bands thru the plate. I found sometimes the tank would be a bit sloppy and may lean to one side or another. It seemed the slots in the plate allowed some room for tilt. Once I switched to a STA, it seemed to get rid of this. As an added bonus, it weighs a couple of pounds which came off my belt. Hope it helps.

Dan

Thanks for the info..

I am thinking the SS plate might be too much at times. When diving springs w/ my 5mil + scout 7lbs of lead is pretty much spot on. In saltwater w/ my 1mil 8lb is about right. So any comments on if I should stay with the SS or drop down to the AL w/ some weight pockets? I usually am diving with an AL100.

Which wing? I am leaning towards the above setup except w/ an oxy wing. 30# is still serious overkill for me - even with additional equipment.

I am thinking the oxy 18# signature would be plenty and make for a more streamlined rig then the 30#

I have the 30.

I think the overall difference in size/drag/etc between the Oxycheq 18 and 30 is really getting you into the "marginal return" area. I'm never one to advocate for a lot more lift than you need, but I'd say go for the 30. Gives you greater flexibility for pairing with various set-ups.

I'm glad I had it this weekend when travelling in Boynton Beach FL and was able to rent some larger steel singles vs the typical AL 80's. While awaiting "live boat" pick-up in pointy 3'-5's, I think I would have been sunk (pun intended) if I only had the 18# wing.

LiveBoat.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom