DiveMaster Course.. what did you pay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most shops I've seen around here charge between $350-400, plus books and materials (around $175 for the FULL package?), and Padi's fee. They'll cover air, but you need your own gear, and sometimes you'll have to pay your own way on a boat (or ferry) to accompany a class to certain training sites.

Of course, if you don't know when someone took the course or which agency, you can't really compare the price.
And NO scubaboard member would pay a discount price for a cut rate course. After all, PADI DM requires at least 2 pool sessions with the instructor, 2 days in the pool interning BOW, at least 10 days interning other classes and several class sessions doing the nine knowledge reviews. Plus, at least 2 sessions doing the stamina excersises. My course has required more time than this, but I'm listing the bare minimum.
A 300 dollar course would mean the instructor makes peanuts, at best, and only newbies would pay for cheap instruction.
My course, which is about 1/2 done, cost $625.00 plus books, in the NY/NJ area.

About $790CDN ($700USD) and it included PADI RDP (what a waste), Encyclopedia of Diving, DM course text and workbook.

-J.-

It was a win/win for me. No money for DM or Instructor. I worked through a number of classes and situations instead of being paid, I received classes for DM.

When it came time for Instructor, my LDS had just changed agencies, knew me, and wanted to work through the new material. There were 4 of us earning out "Instrucor" at the same time

Lead_carrier:
You have to pay the going rate for the area you're training in. Personally, I didn't pay anything. I blackmailed the instructor, and NO I am not kidding.

Any personal tips you can share for using this method successfully???:lol:

I was quoted, from one shop DM for $500 and AI $600 OR :eyebrow: :eyebrow: a combined fee of $900 for both.

I have yet to bite on this one as I'm waiting to compare with several other shops. What do you think?

I did some digging and found a "note to self" indicating that the total expenses for my DM back in the early 90's was right around $600 (that was in the Atlanta area) and it took me 6 monhts. Included in that was the course fee, manuals, and Encyc of Rec Diving. I owned all my own gear (including tanks) back then and my air fills were free. Had some travel expenses to quarrys, Lake Lanier and down to Destin for different dives/exercises that are NOT included in that figure.

'Slogger

My dive shop in Austin Texas offered a special of $500 plus books for AOW, Rescue and DM. I already had the AOW so they are "giving" me another specialty instead.

My LDS quoted 'bout $200 for the PADI DM class and added PADI msrp for the Crew Pack (I forget, but it about doubled it). This is central CA, USA and early 2007.
They provide rental equipment, even strongly suggesting I dive their BCD and not my own (the LDS carries different brands). Air included, but pay for fees for all dives (boat, transportation, lodging).
I bought some additional materials for my friends that agreed to do a class so I could satisfy a requirement.
I also feel its expected I volunteer at the shop a few hours - tank fills, gear washing, assisting customers. They've been very time flexible so I think this improves my knowledge of equipment and the business, win-win.

Back
Top Bottom