Divemaster pay or salary - how much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....did a GOOGLE search, for 2008 the Mexican minimum wage is :

Mexico raises minimum wages by 4 percent, to around US$4.85 (€3.37) a day - International Herald Tribune

Mexico raises minimum wages by 4 percent, to around US$4.85 (€3.37) a day

MEXICO CITY: Mexican authorities announced on Friday that the country's daily minimum wage will get a small increase in 2008, with urban wages to rise about 4 percent to 52.59 pesos, or about US$4.85 (€3.37) a day, roughly the same as the current rate of inflation.

Workers in the Mexican countryside — where lower wages prevail — will see minimum wages rise by about the same rate, to between 49.50 and 50.96 pesos, or US$4.57 to US$4.70 (€3.18 to €3.27), a day, according to a minimum-wage commission representing the government, labor and industry.

The increases will take effect Jan. 1. They average almost exactly the current 4 percent 2007 inflation rate.

After losing ground in the 1990s, Mexico's minimum wage has recovered a bit of its purchasing power. In real terms, however, it still remains well below the value it had in 1994, when Mexico was hit by an economic crisis and the peso was devalued.

While only about one-fifth of Mexican workers earn the minimum wage — the average wage is about 2.5 times higher — it is used as a yardstick for calculating many salaries, taxes and fines.

...so, the legal minimum wage is a little bit less than $ 5.00/day...and the average mexican wage would be $ 12.50/day.
If an average Mexican DM did 4 - 5 dives/day, was tipped a typical $5.00 per dive and lead a full 6-pack each time...that would put his/her income @ $ 120 - $ 150 /day, annual income would be, working 6 days/week, in the $ 37560 - $ 46950 U.S. range. ....the average Mexican annual wage, working 6 days/week would be $ 3913 U.S./week......so the DM would be making somewhere between 10 - 12 times what the average Mexican earns annually.

This sounds really nice but it is not how it is done nor how divemasters get paid, there are no 4 to 5 dives a day, most of them dive the 2 tank wall reef dive and that was their day, some times they will go out on an afternoon dive to help and instructor with courses if needed but this is mostly done from beach. Dive masters in Coz. make a certain amount by the dive no matter if it is 2 or 6 divers they get the same and it varies depending on the dive shop there is no standard some get more some less also depending on the service, languages spoken etc., I know a lot of them and it does go up or down depending on the shop. And 5us tip per diver??If you get good service its ok but if you get great service, remember tips are a very important income also for the crew, like stated here people think they make more than they really do. and now is low season so no afternoon dives and no full 6pack.....120 to 150 usd a day we make as instructors with several courses at a time and not always. I guess you can PM diveshop people on this board for more of that info including myself
hope this helps

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with Dive Pro, there won't be very many DM's getting anywhere near that many divers every day, nor making dives on a 5 days a week cycle year in & year out. I can also guarantee that not all divers tip, and many who do don't tip properly, PLUS the tip is split with the captain (and crew if there is one). I haven't met any (in Coz) that I felt made more than a decent wage all things considered. Those tanks get heavy, people get bitchy, the day starts early, and ultimately there are long term effects we don't know about, and daily risks caused by Rambo divers plus idiots. I can honestly say I don't want their job even though I love where they live & love to dive.

Beachnik....this is enough info to know what your intentions are, and to make me comfortable in helping you out with this answer...PM sent...good on you!

OK, here it is. I'm not going to give all the details - because that really would be a violation of someone's privacy.

Something happened that resulted in a misunderstanding. It was a rather innocent and esoteric conversation. And no, it was not a complaint about someone's performance - nothing at all like that. Yet, a third party found out and took exception. Quite frankly, the third party over-reacted. The end result was that the divemaster got suspended for several days.

Even though this 'thing' was initially precipitated by the divemaster, it was a very innocent thing. The divemaster happens to be a great person, good divemaster, wishing to cause harm to no one. I'm going to give the divemaster enough cash to cover several days of lost income. I can afford it, he can't.

And no, I'm not going to ask the divemaster what they make, that would be humiliating for the divemaster.

If someone knows the answer but doesn't want to make it public, just send me a Private Message.

Thanks

Mexico raises minimum wages by 4 percent, to around US$4.85 (€3.37) a day

Good research, but dive crew pay works MUCH differently. While most of them do earn this minimum wage as a base salary as required by law, they also earn "trip pay" - so they are paid for each trip they take out which is substantially more than the minimum wage. The trip pay amount varies greatly between dive shops.

I received plenty of info on this subject. If someone wants to leave a general comment, it's up to you. But, no need to leave any additional info for me.

Thanks to all.

I would like to know what is the basic salary of a Divemaster in Europe or the Red Sea.

Very few people in Cozumel makes that minimum wage. Maids make about $20 per day and anyone that speaks English may double or triple that.

Dave Dillehay

My English is pretty good. Do I have to speak Spanish too?

Too sum up the answer, from research I've done. Divemasters in Mexico make from very little money, to not much, depending on the experience of the Divemaster, most of the money they make is from customer tips, just like waiters and waitresses do here in the states. Of course, look at the benefits like the view from your office window (mask), and wonderful fresh compressed air, when your actually diving, and not working in a shop or filling tanks.

No, Spanish is not needed, but a working FM3 is. Very tough for Gringos to get!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom