Divemaster pay or salary - how much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachnik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm curious if anyone out there knows the typical pay that a Divemaster earns per day in Cozumel. I'm talking about a Divemaster employed by a dive operator.

The reason for the question is... tediously long and boring. So I'll spare you.

Thanks

I'm curious if anyone out there knows the typical pay that a Divemaster earns per day in Cozumel. I'm talking about a Divemaster employed by a dive operator.

The reason for the question is... tediously long and boring. So I'll spare you.

Thanks

I know the answer (since I am a dive shop owner and employ a full staff), but with all due respect...this forum is not an appropriate place for you to be asking this. I think you'll also need to give a legitimate reason as to why you need to know this before you'll get an answer. This information is typically a private and confidential matter between each employee and their employer.

Perhaps it is not a very relatable question for most members, but it's probably the best sub-forum on SB on which to post it. And it wouldn't be innapropriate to provide a range . I don't think the OP was asking for any specific operator to comment on what they pay their employees but perhaps just a generalization of the median for the area.

Perhaps it is not a very relatable question for most members, but it's probably the best sub-forum on SB on which to post it. And it wouldn't be innapropriate to provide a range . I don't think the OP was asking for any specific operator to comment on what they pay their employees but perhaps just a generalization of the median for the area.

I would have to agree with him. A range would be great, you can go online and get a range for most jobs, divemaster just isn't in that list. :D

OK, here it is. I'm not going to give all the details - because that really would be a violation of someone's privacy.

Something happened that resulted in a misunderstanding. It was a rather innocent and esoteric conversation. And no, it was not a complaint about someone's performance - nothing at all like that. Yet, a third party found out and took exception. Quite frankly, the third party over-reacted. The end result was that the divemaster got suspended for several days.

Even though this 'thing' was initially precipitated by the divemaster, it was a very innocent thing. The divemaster happens to be a great person, good divemaster, wishing to cause harm to no one. I'm going to give the divemaster enough cash to cover several days of lost income. I can afford it, he can't.

And no, I'm not going to ask the divemaster what they make, that would be humiliating for the divemaster.

If someone knows the answer but doesn't want to make it public, just send me a Private Message.

Thanks

OK, here it is. I'm not going to give all the details - because that really would be a violation of someone's privacy.

Something happened that resulted in a misunderstanding. It was a rather innocent and esoteric conversation. And no, it was not a complaint about someone's performance - nothing at all like that. Yet, a third party found out and took exception. Quite frankly, the third party over-reacted. The end result was that the divemaster got suspended for several days.

Even though this 'thing' was initially precipitated by the divemaster, it was a very innocent thing. The divemaster happens to be a great person, good divemaster, wishing to cause harm to no one. I'm going to give the divemaster enough cash to cover several days of lost income. I can afford it, he can't.

And no, I'm not going to ask the divemaster what they make, that would be humiliating for the divemaster.

If someone knows the answer but doesn't want to make it public, just send me a Private Message.

Thanks

Good to see that there are still some good people out there Good for you!

Well if that's why you need the information , which I don't have, I can at least congratulate you for your principles. Well done, I hope all of it works out & you have my respect for trying to rectify what sounds like a bad situation for the DM.

If you or a friend feel bad because you got a divemaster suspended and want to make it up, just send him $100 and an appreciation note. I don't know if that's more or less than he lost in pay but it would definitely ease the financial sting and be a lot more than he is expecting.

.....did a GOOGLE search, for 2008 the Mexican minimum wage is :

Mexico raises minimum wages by 4 percent, to around US$4.85 (€3.37) a day - International Herald Tribune

Mexico raises minimum wages by 4 percent, to around US$4.85 (€3.37) a day

MEXICO CITY: Mexican authorities announced on Friday that the country's daily minimum wage will get a small increase in 2008, with urban wages to rise about 4 percent to 52.59 pesos, or about US$4.85 (€3.37) a day, roughly the same as the current rate of inflation.

Workers in the Mexican countryside — where lower wages prevail — will see minimum wages rise by about the same rate, to between 49.50 and 50.96 pesos, or US$4.57 to US$4.70 (€3.18 to €3.27), a day, according to a minimum-wage commission representing the government, labor and industry.

The increases will take effect Jan. 1. They average almost exactly the current 4 percent 2007 inflation rate.

After losing ground in the 1990s, Mexico's minimum wage has recovered a bit of its purchasing power. In real terms, however, it still remains well below the value it had in 1994, when Mexico was hit by an economic crisis and the peso was devalued.

While only about one-fifth of Mexican workers earn the minimum wage — the average wage is about 2.5 times higher — it is used as a yardstick for calculating many salaries, taxes and fines.

...so, the legal minimum wage is a little bit less than $ 5.00/day...and the average mexican wage would be $ 12.50/day.
If an average Mexican DM did 4 - 5 dives/day, was tipped a typical $5.00 per dive and lead a full 6-pack each time...that would put his/her income @ $ 120 - $ 150 /day, annual income would be, working 6 days/week, in the $ 37560 - $ 46950 U.S. range. ....the average Mexican annual wage, working 6 days/week would be $ 3913 U.S./week......so the DM would be making somewhere between 10 - 12 times what the average Mexican earns annually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom