Divemasters, Instructors, & Dive Veterans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a DM candidate right now, and a fellow candidate (who shall remain nameless but was certainly crucified) was asked to perform a demonstration of a feet-first snorkel dive. Everything was quite exemplary, except for the lack of a snorkel in said DM's mouth :) (disclaimer: I did a pretty darn lousy pike dive myself, so I am in no way judging)

catherine96821:
UH....Is this THAT GUY I am diving with March 1st? I think I should research these things a little. I am way too casual.

You'll have to wrassle him for the anchor. :wink: Sounds like a dive I'd enjoy.

lundysd:
I'm a DM candidate right now, and a fellow candidate (who shall remain nameless but was certainly crucified) was asked to perform a demonstration of a feet-first snorkel dive. Everything was quite exemplary, except for the lack of a snorkel in said DM's mouth :) (disclaimer: I did a pretty darn lousy pike dive myself, so I am in no way judging)

As long as it was back in when he surfaced, that's not an issue, especially with a feet first descent.

Forgetting to zip the dry suit before water entry . . .

Forgetting you took the weights out of a couple of your weight belt pockets to use somewhere else . . .

Forgetting to hold onto your mask on a back roll entry and making your husband retrieve it for you . . .

Getting the cord of your can light caught in the rungs of the ladder as you try to climb back on the boat . . .

Getting the long hose caught on the rungs of the ladder as you try to climb back on the boat . . .

Failing to tighten the cambands sufficiently, so that your buddy has to try to put your tank back in them after descent . . .

Failing to accurately calculate the increased weight requirement for a set of (never to be sufficiently condemned) Al 80's, and swimming a hundred yards before trying to descend and discovering this . . .

Failing to check the gear bag somebody else packed and getting to the dive site without your fins . . .

Swimming all the way to the descent point and discovering you don't have your computer (your only depth gauge) . . .

I have been guilty of all these. And what bothers me the most is the contemplation of all the mistakes I haven't made yet.

PaulChristenson:
GIANT COMBAT KNIFE....Wait just a darn minute...what happens when you are attacked by Champ!!!...:D

FYI: Champ is the nickname for Lake Champlain's version of the Loch Ness critter...:D

Yeah, and what if you have to cut some evil diver's regulator hose a la Sea Hunt?

Even an experienced diver with several years under his/her weight-belt makes simple, silly mistakes. It just happens sometimes. The important thing is not so much being concerned about how you look to others, the important thing is your safety. I find that new divers tend to pick things out that experienced divers are doing "wrong" because they are just out of, or in training.

Now I'll come clean....

I've back rolled off a boat to a wreck at 120 feet, get to the wreck, adjust everything and discover I am not wearing fins. Nothing like a nice walk at 120 feet.

Lot's of beach diving (solo) where I almost always forget to turn my air on until I am about to enter the water in 3 foot swells. (Off comes all the gear)

Chasing my BC to the bottom of the sea because I wanted to "gear up" in the water to make space on a boat, without inflating it first before I threw it over the side.

EVERYONE has done some stupid/silly stuff. Not all will admit to it though. Just watch, learn and ask lot's of questions.

Mike Rushton
PADI DM 174448

Forgetting to change your tank between dives because you are looking after your guests!
Uh-huh! down to 25 metres to find that 10 minutes in you can hear the tank clang as the sides meet. Fortunately the other dive guide gave me the "right richard-head" signal as I showed him my gauge and I ascended -

See! I can do a CESA from 25 metres in reality!

I had only completed about 3000 dives then ... duuuur!

Surfacing at the wrong boat.

Funniest thing I've ever seen someone do while diving (or attempting to dive):

Doing a backroll off of a boat and getting your computer's hose caught under the bench that leads to ripping the hose out of the 1st stage and having your tank bleed dry. All of this immediately after making comments like "and make sure you people have good air consumption so I don't waste my dive"

Make sure you know where your hoses are and that your aren't entangled before you head into the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom