Divemasters, Instructors, & Dive Veterans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseybird:
One might want to remain in contact with your buddy. One might also not want to blow out his eardrums while blasting past 50' at warp speed. One might not care about a last chance equipment check on the surface. However since you might tell me you always:
dive solo;
equalize perfectly;
check everything before you leave the boat;
This doesn't apply to your diving.

Good luck
yes to all of the above

My buddy's name is AL and he is never move than 3" from my side, has a zero air consumption rate, and is always ready to provide me with extra gas.

duckster3d:
yes to all of the above

My buddy's name is AL and he is never move than 3" from my side, has a zero air consumption rate, and is always ready to provide me with extra gas.

Hope AL remembers to open the valve every time.
Cheers,

easy mistakes-

If you have dry suit divers its good idea to visually check and make sure its connected, a quick reminder to inflate their BC on the surface after a dive is always helpful. As far a the DM goes, the quickest way to loose the confidence of the group is forgetting a peice of equiptment, especially if you grab a drysuit that looks like yours but is way too small, thats never happened to me though just a guy I know

Good luck

JUMBO

Walter:
Putting your mask with your defog in the rinse bucket and sloshing it around. Now that you've just soaped up the rinse bucket, how do you expect everyone else to wash the sop out of their masks?

Also putting your mask into any water before spitting in it. (don't know about all the defog products....never used any) It works waaaaay better spitting into a dry mask.

Fish_Whisperer:
What are some common, stupid n00b mistakes that you've seen over the years? What are some good ways to avoid looking like a complete dork? Yes, this is partially humorous, but it's also a serious query. Thank you.

Awesome thread Frank.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Because I'm just starting out, this is the kind of stuff I love to hear.

Do you wait for the boat to stop or just dive over the gunwhale before they throttle down? :D

duckster3d:
why would anyone want air in the bc when doing a boat entry?????

I like to hit the water carrying the anchor my scooter, and video set up. Go in head first, on the bottom at 100' in less than 30 seconds. air in the bc would only slow me down.

dherbman:
Do you wait for the boat to stop or just dive over the gunwhale before they throttle down? :D

Hey, I had a DM in Fiji last summer who dove headfirst over the rail. WAY Cool. I still can't figure out how he kept the mask on.

Oh yeah, what's all this about "carrying the anchor"? What the He**?

caseybird:
Hey, I had a DM in Fiji last summer who dove headfirst over the rail. WAY Cool. I still can't figure out how he kept the mask on.

Oh yeah, what's all this about "carrying the anchor"? What the He**?

as the captian passes over the wreck the captain watches the depth finder, as the wreck passunder the boat he blows the horn and i go. find a high spot on the wreck and tie the anchor in. set off to find good stuff to video.

we're changing our system this year. going to go with a length of chain with a snap shackle onto a poly line to a float ball. everything else will stay the same, i just won't have to pull the boat around if i have trouble finding a high spot to tie in at. i can take a little more time. then the boat will circle around and tie up to the temp mooring. i will also drop off the swim platform instead of going over the side.

it takes some practice to keep the mask on. once i had it come all the way down knocking my reg out of my mouth, had to get the mask back up enough to get reg back in, then reset the mask and clear, by time i had done all this i was on the bottom. had to scooter a ways to a high spot, pulling the boat, one of the reasons for the change this year.
:D

I like it when the diver tries to get up from their seat on the boat only to find:

1) the bungee is still hooked on the tank valve

or worse...

2) the bungee is still hooked but below the regulator! Bwahahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom