Divemasters, Instructors, & Dive Veterans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duckster3d:
it takes some practice to keep the mask on. once i had it come all the way down knocking my reg out of my mouth, had to get the mask back up enough to get reg back in, then reset the mask and clear, by time i had done all this i was on the bottom. had to scooter a ways to a high spot, pulling the boat, one of the reasons for the change this year.
:D

Doug,
Maybe It's time to take it a little easier at work. These guys are trying to wear you out.
Dive safe,

New drysuit diver forgets to fully vent his suit before his giant stride....hood pops off with high velocity when he hits the water. Very funny.

duckster3d:
it takes some practice to keep the mask on. once i had it come all the way down knocking my reg out of my mouth, had to get the mask back up enough to get reg back in, then reset the mask and clear, by time i had done all this i was on the bottom. had to scooter a ways to a high spot, pulling the boat, one of the reasons for the change this year.
:D

This is all pretty good advice to give a noob. You do realize which forum you're in, right?

Heyyyyy, you are that guy I read about some time ago, aren't you? Dude, you're like a legend! :wink:

Fish_Whisperer:
What are some common, stupid n00b mistakes that you've seen over the years? What are some good ways to avoid looking like a complete dork? Yes, this is partially humorous, but it's also a serious query. Thank you.
I cannot find my can-of-worms smiley!!
grinning-smiley-027.gif

Following along with an AOW class in a quarry and having to help the instructor and DM find all of them after they decided to hold onto the guide line and walk along the silty bottom, no not just stir it up with their fins, walk. The instructor must have known the individuals in the class when he asked me to sweep behind the DM's just in case.

FW - btw what part of Middle TN? I grew up in Winchester.

Fish_Whisperer:
LOL! Well, I'm a bad person too, then. :14: :D

These have been some great answers! I'll have to read the rest of them on Monday when I get back from Key Largo. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Hi FW,

How about, "Going to Key Largo without ME!"

The fact you are concerned about these things shows you THINK about whats going on and you'll likely witness far more of these than you commit. A big one for me is blocking the way out/off of the boat while some small framed person is straining under the weight of their kit, trying to get past & into the water. Another is people staying so close to me they continually bump me. A couple fin kicks is close enough is what I tell folks. I'll hold your hand if you need(seriously, I've had to do this in VERY poor vis), otherwise give me a couple feet.

caseybird:
You could politely ask the DM if you could do a back roll off the boat. I did that last summer and they seemed surprised that anyone would prefer to do the back roll instead of a giant stride. I pointed out the B-R is the coolest part of diving. What's more fun that falling off the boat, bass-ackwards into the unknown? I mean, why not?

Hey, I like that. Think I'll request it next time I'm somewhere else. Avoid the "line".

dherbman:
This is all pretty good advice to give a noob. You do realize which forum you're in, right?

Heyyyyy, you are that guy I read about some time ago, aren't you? Dude, you're like a legend!

What? This isn't the steely-eyed, diving for Nazi gold, UDT, On Her Majesties Secret Service with a Tiny Rebreather, dances with death every stinkin' time, let me tell you how we did it it the old days, I Knew Cousteau and you, sir, are no Cousteau forum? Than what the heck am I doing here?

"That Guy" bit is a riot.

UH....Is this THAT GUY I am diving with March 1st? I think I should research these things a little. I am way too casual.

CON8IV:
Hi FW,

I'll hold your hand if you need(seriously, I've had to do this in VERY poor vis), otherwise give me a couple feet.

Our instructor (God bless him!) did this for us in our OW >2 feet vis and 52 deg. Took a little getting used to.

Thank you Thank you for this thread.... will try and not commit any of these blunders... esp MOF :wink: when I'm off to Keys/Coz...10 days!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom