Divemasters/Resorts making you flood and clear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If salt water is burning your eyes, you need to swim in salt water more. It's merely a matter of getting used to it. Salt water hasn't burned my eyes in years.

Does this mean if it takes me two breaths to clear and they think I should do it in one, they won't let me dive?

Not likely, they'll likely be happy if you can do it at all. OTOH, you should be able to clear a fully flooded mask 3 or more times on a single breath.

The other thing, although less important, is that if I am certified, and haven't given someone reason to distrust my abilities, and I'm not trying to do something questionable without supervision/training (like getting certified in the caribbean then wanting to go out in a kelp forest or dive in limited visibility, or use my OW cert to play wreck diver) then I should not need to prove myself to dive ops and divemasters.

Welcome to the world of low standards. We all have to prove ourselves because most instructors are teaching to inadequate standards. If standards actually meant certified divers actually knew how to dive, this silliness would disappear.

Practice diving 10 or 15 minutes without a mask at all. You'll soon be over the eye burning issue.

A checkout before your first dive protects everyone.. against those unable to perform the most basic, essential, skills. Weeding out the inept.. hopefully to a refresher in the pool.. reduces emergencys & rescues on the open water.. better for the operator.. better for the dive masters.. and a far more enjoyable dive experience for you .

Salt water burns my eyes but chlorine doesn't really affect me that much; then again I'm in chlorine a few hours every week. I suppose I should get in salt water more often, as evidenced by Walter's suggestion.
Walter did you go diving with Bob and Polly this weekend?

I think it might be because of the encounter with animals - I recall Anthony's Key has a swim/dive with dolphin program, and there's a chance of getting one's mask bumped by dolphins. I had to do the same thing for a sharkfeeding dive (at the now defunct Nassau Scuba Centre) in New Providence a few years back as there was a possibility of a diver's mask being bumped.
Anyway, I think it shouldn't be a problem flooding and clearing it for most proficient divers.

JeffG:
At the Bay Island Beach resort we had to do a partial flood/clear. Reg recovery and a fin pivot.

Since I did the clear and recovery in mid-water, I got to skip the fin pivot. LOL

and no, I don't have a problem with it. They (the DM's) just want an idea who is going to cause them grief during their stay.
At CocoView the DM asked me to do a mask flood and clear while kneeling. When I did a remove and replace while hovering (in 3 feet of water), he asked me to kneel on the bottom and do it over again. I asked him why and he said he wanted to check my weighting ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

EvaL:
I think it might be because of the encounter with animals - I recall Anthony's Key has a swim/dive with dolphin program, and there's a chance of getting one's mask bumped by dolphins. I had to do the same thing for a sharkfeeding dive (at the now defunct Nassau Scuba Centre) in New Providence a few years back as there was a possibility of a diver's mask being bumped.
Anyway, I think it shouldn't be a problem flooding and clearing it for most proficient divers.
There shouldn't be a problem flooding and clearing for any divers ... it's a required skill in order to get Open Water certified ... if you can't do it, you shouldn't have passed your OW class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
At CocoView the DM asked me to do a mask flood and clear while kneeling. When I did a remove and replace while hovering (in 3 feet of water), he asked me to kneel on the bottom and do it over again. I asked him why and he said he wanted to check my weighting ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
LOL...Really?

Sometimes real life is just too funny.

SparticleBrane:
I suppose I should get in salt water more often, as evidenced by Walter's suggestion.
Dude ... salt is cheap! Just drop some in the bathtub ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom