Diver etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a crew member on a boat, I would recommend the following. Listen to the crew briefing for safety and what they will do in emergency situations, as well listen to the site briefing and stay quiet so others can here. When the crew is trying to dock or get into a mooring, sit down and again try and stay quiet, crew may need to communicate and be able to see which can be hard over 15 people getting ready to dive. Take the advice from your crew when it comes to diving and the site. I have found that several divers disregard the crews advice on diving, they seem to not realize that many crew may be very experienced divers as well. Becarefull not to critique other divers set ups, again as a diver I have had this on boats several times, divers giving me all sorts of advice that was more blowharted bragging than anything else. I like advice, I love learning from other divers, but take the approach of ask why they configure something in the way they do, or why they use that gear etc, you might learn some good techiniques, and you may tactfully make the diver aware of something that is wrong that they did not notice.

Most importantly have fun, dive safe, and don't be affraid to be the new guy and ask questions. I found being the new guy and being social and good spirited you will learn a lot and make new dive buddies.

For the most part all you need is just common courtesy. But unfortunately that is not too common anymore. Keeping your gear squared away is important not just to make room for others but for safety reasons. Situational awareness is also important as you are operating in a somewhat confined space that is always moving with other people around you. Always know what is going on around you, who is in your immediate area and what the boat itself is doing. If you are somewhat new hang back and let others in the water first as your dive time will likely be shorter then others. A new diver can usually be the last one in and be the first one out without others having to wait for them.

Please do not stand in front of my station so I can set up my gear. I know it is cramped. Please consider your language and refrain from cursing. Everything else was covered in the previous posts. Thanks for asking.

When you have come up the ladder and are back on the boat get out of the way so the next person up the ladder has a place to stand. Look carefully before striding/jumping into the water or even rolling backwards into the water -you don't want to hurt anyone and esp. dive tanks hurt a lot.

Learn how to buddy check youself and always (ALWAYS) do it, each & every item, with or without a buddy's help. Everyone on the boat (even you) will be happy if you don't have problems and don't get hurt. Don't walk around with fins on -that's a fine way to get hurt.

Some mentionned, others not. be on time and silent during briefings. don't be the last one to be geared up. Do not "separate" buddy pairs on the boat, let them jump togheter.

Underwater, do not pass others, nor swim too close. Keep your number - rank - in the team. Do not stay behind. Do not go lower , or much hogher than the dive leader. Do not touch living creature. For me, to wear gloves most of the time - only "possible" exception in some wrecks and going down and up an old mooring line.

I guess with all the banana talk my daily potassium pill for cramps is looking pretty good.

Don't be over-social and I don't need to hear your life's story in one morning, stay out of the way, don't hangout at the entry/exist point, don't puke/piss over the windward side, don't help unless asked to help, don't fart in a closed area and please, pretty please, don't be the guy who is sitting reading his dive course textbook while on the way to the dive site or brings his new dive gear in boxes with all of the packing material and is looking for people to help him put it together while on the boat!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom