Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The misinformation abounds. We are just learning that the diver lost may not a newbie, but a relatively fit person who has been diving for 7 years. AND that the diver has not been recovered.

It should be apparent to anyone including vincent54 that the dive op put out the call, else the authorities would not have become involved in the search.

The misinformation abounds. We are just learning that the diver lost is not a newbie, but a relatively fit person who has been diving for 7 years. AND that the diver has not been recovered.
Actually, I have not learned anything definitive. I have read a lot of conflicting information/misinformation.

Yes Gordon. Agreed.

She was found on the beach about 3 miles north of the dive site. She was newly certified - not sure if she certified here or was certified at home before coming to the island. This was her third or fourth day diving - first dive trip. That's really all I know. Very sad and tragic.[/QUOTE]

You don't know, and it wasn't her!

---------- Post added January 16th, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

A lot of people have made some leaps in the facts. I understand that you are all scared and or upset to lose a friend diver, But as tamys sisteI know that you do not even come close to knowing the facts. This needs to be friendly informative site. Thank-you all

Agreed

OK, so we have another body which may or may not be drowned...I am confused and befuddled. I suppose it is understandable to jump to conclusions when a search is underway for a missing diver, but extra bodies popping up is unnerving.

Missing diver has not been found. Tammy has been diving for 7 yr. She just completed a 5k run recently

Is this verified? Very confusing?

There were two newspaper articles (one posted here earlier) and it was on the radio today that the missing diver was found, and they said it was off the beach near Occidental Grand Hotel, which is approximately 3 - 4 miles south of the dive site - I also thought it was strange that she would have been found there. So yes, now I am confused as well! In the interview with her Mother, she said that she was a new diver, this was her first dive. In the same news report, they say she was an experienced diver - so this is a prime example that the facts are not really facts - there is still a lot of speculation.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2013 at 09:24 PM ----------

She was found on the beach about 3 miles north of the dive site. She was newly certified - not sure if she certified here or was certified at home before coming to the island. This was her third or fourth day diving - first dive trip. That's really all I know. Very sad and tragic.

WEll, I guess I incorrectly assumed that her mother was correct.

TLsSIS, how do you reconcile your statement that Tammy had been diving seven years with this statement:

"Emma Lashlee said her daughter loves the outdoors and is the adventurous type, but had never been scuba diving before."

Source:
Search under way for Utah woman missing in Mexico after dream first-time scuba diving trip goes wrong | Mail Online

You don't know, and it wasn't her!

---------- Post added January 16th, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

Agreed[/QUOTE]

PVERY, I understand that you are upset at the loss of your friend or family member - and I give you and the family my sincerest condolences. However, there really is no need to be nasty with any of us. AS a member of the local dive community, I am only sharing information as I hear it here on the island - through radio, newspapers and talk among locals. I do take the newspaper articles with a very large grain of salt, but when they say the body was recovered - I assumed that was factual and the body had been positively identified as stated in the paper.

As for her experience level, again - my statements were a simple sharing of information that I never claimed to be factual - however, again - I did assume that her mothers statements about her being new to diving were correct.

SHe was a beautiful woman and I am so incredibly sorry for those who loved her.

I have been reading this entire thread with a heavy heart. My sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to Tamara's family and friends. It is my desire that we will all be able to learn something from this horrible event. I am a DM, and my husband works for Dive Paradise. I will pass along some of what he has told me. First of all, let me say that my purpose in doing this is only to educate. It is not to point fingers, blame or argue with anyone. I feel like I am jumping in a rattlesnake pit here, but I am hopeful that if at least one person is prevented from making the same mistake, then it will be worth it. As a dive professional and future instructor, my intent will be to use this as a "Please don't let this happen to you' example.
First, let me say that my husband was not on the boat with this diver. He was on a different boat at the same dive site at the same general time, however. As soon as they were made aware of the situation they called in all DP boats as well as boats from other dive shops to come help and there were many, many boats looking, according to him. Of course, he has spoken several times with the DM of Tamara's group. I do not believe it is my place to discuss that conversation since,obviously, I was not there and my husband was not with their group. I will say that he (my husband) belives that standard procedures were followed, and that this DM did all he could do with what he had to deal with. There was a very strong current at that reef that morning (not to be confused with a down current).
Here is where I believe we can all learn something. It is my understanding that Tamara came to the dive shop with an AOW. However, she had not been diving in a long time, and indicated that it was her first ocean dive, so, per shop policy she had to do a refresher course. During this refresher, the instructor recommended that she have a private DM go with her. She responded by laughing and saying no thank you, she was an advanced diver. Sadly, we know how this story ends. There are many other details that would be helpful to know, but I doubt if we ever will. However, the one thing we as divers CAN learn, is to respect a new environment and not put all your faith in little plastic certification cards. Your faith has to be in your comfort level and skills, which, in my opinion comes only with experience - not cert. cards. If you are rusty, or inexperienced or nervous then for God's sake, tell the divemasters and take the advice of the dive shop. It is YOUR responsibility as a diver to do so. I am so sad that this turned out the way it did. It seems like it was entirely avoidable. My husband and I regularly see people who would rather spend $35.00 to $40.00 on beer after the dives each day(and I am not at all suggesting that is what this diver did) than for a private DM. Very lamentable.
As for the news accounts saying they found her body, when I spoke to my husband tonight I said I had heard that her body was found. He was surprised and said he had not heard that and he hung up with me to call the shop. When he called me back, he said no, to their knowledge, she had not been found yet. The owner had divers searching all day some going down to 300ft to look. I read him the 'news' article and he said it was bull s**t. Right then, the local news came on and they were still reporting her as missing as confirmed by the harbor master. Then someone called the news room to say they had heard that she was found and the news guy said they would check into that, but that he doubted it because he had just talked to the HM and was told she had not been found. (I am in the states until Friday which is why we have been taking by phone). For those of you not familiar with Cozumel 'newspapers' , let me second what Christi has said... most of them are National Enquirer type rags where the 'reporter' gets paid by the story with no accountability for what is said.
So, I apologize for being very verbose tonight and I hope everyone receives this in the spirit it was intended.

Last edited:
My first big red light-warning bell going ding-ding-ding were the comments purporting that Dive Paradise denied that a diver was missing and that they refused to participate in the search. I simply knew that neither could possibly be true.

Well, I am diving tomorrow and need to hit the sack. Hopefully I will come back alive. :D

For the dive operators on the island.
When a call is made for a search, where is the first place you start to search and who coordinates who searches and where?
IF DP had a full boat (14) and all the divers were surfacing behind the missing diver and everyone hit the surface at the same time, how long would it take to load the divers.
How far could have the missing diver drifted in that time?

Back
Top Bottom