Diver Missing, Point Sur, Saturday Oct 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
Per the local TV, the search was unsuccessful and has been called off.

http://cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnews/bcn/2006/10/07/n/HeadlineNews/MISSING-DIVER/resources_bcn_html

COAST GUARD SEARCHES MONTEREY WATERS FOR MISSING DIVER
10/07/06 6:40 PDT
MONTEREY (BCN)

The U.S. Coast Guard has launched two helicopters and a motorboat to search the waters off Point Sur on the Monterey coastline in hopes of finding a 60-year-old scuba diver reported missing around noon today, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard estimates the diver has about 10 hours to survive in the water, and the search will last at least that long, U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Amy Marrs reported.

The recreational dive group that included the now-missing man boarded the charter vessel, Cypress Sea, and took their first dive around 11 a.m. today, according to Marrs. They were in waters about four miles west of Point Sur, Marrs reported.

Marrs said the man probably entered the water shortly after 11 a.m. with about two hours of air with him when he left the vessel.

The Coast Guard received word at 12:10 p.m. that the man had not returned with his "dive buddy."

Divers aboard the charter boat searched for the man but were unable to find him.

Marrs said the man is "an experienced diver'' and "was with a partner'' when he entered the water.

The Coast Guard has two HH-65 helicopters from Air Station San Francisco and a 47-foot motor life boast from Coast Guard Station Monterey.

The Coast Guard is searching an area of approximately 100 square miles, according to Marr.

ommited

It was a very sad incident for all involved. I was on the boat when that occurred and it was by far the freakiest diving incidents I have ever been involved in. Immediately following the disappearance a massive search was commenced. The boat searched several miles along with fellow passengers which went in twice to search for the man on the bottom. One of the teams included 3 divers with scooters searched a very extensive area down to 180ft. Vis was good at around 100 feet, there was no sign of him. He disappeared from the surface before the dive had even begun. And unlike most of the reports he was using a rebreather. I have to say that having met the man I am very saddened that this happened, for the brief time that I knew him, he was a very experienced diver and a very nice person who was very concerned about the safety of the other divers on the boat. It was a very sad day and the boat ride home was the most painful and crappy boat ride ever. I really wish that we could have done more but we did all that we could to bring him back. May we learn to never be naive about the dangers of diving. My thoughts are with his family and those that took on the burden of telling his wife and kids.

My condolences to the family & others of the missing diver - as well as to Kjundvr and all others on the boat. Losing one to the sea can have a bid impact on all onboard. If you have not studied Critical Incident Stress in Rescue Class yet, then please consult local assistance about it. It can unjustly leave a lingering hurt on you. Best wishes.

kjundvr:
He disappeared from the surface before the dive had even begun./QUOTE]

KJ,
Thanks for sharring. Was just wondering if you could give a word of clarification. Are you saying that he went down immediately and without his buddy? Did he just giant stride and not come back up? Or was there some sort of other problem that you saw at the surface?

You and the rest of the divers on the boat are to be commended for trying to find him. Will certainly be keeping the fellows family in prayer as well as those of you on the boat.
Leah

My condolences to the family and all involved. I cannot imagine how that must feel to be on the boat or helping in the search and not able to do more.

I always wonder what went wrong, and what could have been done to prevent this. As someone already asked, I wonder if he went down without his buddy?

Unfortunately we rarely find out enough to learn from these tragedys.

TOM

I was unfortunate enough to be on the boat. It's not clear what happened.

I can confirm that the missing diver was using a Prism rebreather. He exited the boat and was seen to swim to the float marking the downline to the pinnacle. Shortly thereafter his teammates called over to the boat and asked where he was. He had made it clear that nobody was to be solo diving so it is very unlikely he started the dive without his team. Surface conditions were good with relatively flat seas, light winds and no surface current (though there was a significant current at depth). It was determined that he was not on the surface. One of his teammates descended far enough to see the top of the pinnacle and didn't see him on the line. We called the CG and began search and rescue efforts. Several attempts were made locate him on the bottom including search patterns with scooters but the bottom under the boat was 170 feet so there was a limit to what we could do.

The boat ride home was a thoroughly miserable experience and I can only imagine how tough this is on his family and friends. My thoughts are with them at this time.

Clinton

Thank both of you for the information! My sincerest condolences to the family!
Thank you for your efforts to find a fellow diver and my you only have to experience this loss once in your diving lifetime....

Back
Top Bottom