Diver Missing, Point Sur, Saturday Oct 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjundvr:
While the chances are slim we are headed out tomarrow to attempt a recovery of Bob. Keep your fingers crossed that we may have something for his family.

i hope this attempt yields positive results
if not and another attempt is made i would gladly volunteer any assistance as diver , crew,
dm, surface support etc.

i would like to see bob properly laid to rest.

my deepest condolences to his family and friends i know he will be missed

needless to say bob was one of the nicest guys you would want to meet.

We found him approximently 5min into the first dive about 100ft from the anchor chain. I am glad that we were able to bring him back to his family. There were 6 divers that did all the work at depth and they did a great job. I have to say that they get all the credit and I commend them all for their hard work and dedication.

kjundvr:
We found him approximently 5min into the first dive about 100ft from the anchor chain. I am glad that we were able to bring him back to his family. There were 6 divers that did all the work at depth and they did a great job. I have to say that they get all the credit and I commend them all for their hard work and dedication.
Dang what great news. Thanks for sharing this with us. It does help here, and I'm sure it will help a lot with his loved ones.

The primary focus for this forum is to learn from the accidents. Should you learn anything from his equipment or other exams, I hope you can share it with us.

I will be sure to let you know should I hear anything. At this time what I can tell you is that he was found with all his stage bottles off and it did not seem like he attempted to use them. That is about all that we know at this time the rest is just guessing.

Kjundvr:

I'm glad that you and your colleagues were successful in the recovery, and hope that it may provide some comfort to the family. I think that you and everyone involved in the search efforts really deserve a hand for your perseverance.

I never met Bob, but as a Monterey diver my heart goes out to his memory and to his family.

Slingshot

kjundvr:
We found him ...
Congratulations and thanks to the recovery team.
A grim task well done.

My sincere condolences to the family of this diver.

I am extremely new to diving and am just beginning to look at dive computers, so I don't know much about them yet. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but If he was using a dive computer, can enough information be recovered from it to get a better idea of what went wrong? Is there anything like a "black box" on an aircraft that is available to divers so that investigators can piece together what went wrong in the case of a tragedy like this? Something that can record time, air consumption, depth,...ect.

Very sorry to hear about the loss... Our condolences to his family and friends...

Gratified to hear his family will be able to lay him to rest... Congratulations to the recovery team for a difficult job seen through...

harleyxx:
My sincere condolences to the family of this diver.

I am extremely new to diving and am just beginning to look at dive computers, so I don't know much about them yet. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but If he was using a dive computer, can enough information be recovered from it to get a better idea of what went wrong? Is there anything like a "black box" on an aircraft that is available to divers so that investigators can piece together what went wrong in the case of a tragedy like this? Something that can record time, air consumption, depth,...ect.

Yes, if a computer was used, it records certain info of the dive. Mine will keep the last 40 dives recorded. But depending on the computer, the info will not paint the whole picture.

I'm not familiar with the rebreather setups but I was under the impression that they too have onboard computers.

all4scuba05:
I'm not familiar with the rebreather setups but I was under the impression that they too have onboard computers.
Some of them do, the electronically controlled CCRs have a setpoint controller.
A couple even have integrated deco computing, most of them are downloadable.
The PRISM does have a setpoint controller, but no deco or download features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom