Diver Missing, Point Sur, Saturday Oct 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just last month we lost a diver in the New York area. The captain, crew and divers did all possible to rescue the diver. I know all to well the feeling you guys were expierencing on the ride back to the pier. May he rest in peace and may his family somehow find peace in the fact that he died doing something he loved....

harleyxx:
My sincere condolences to the family of this diver.

I am extremely new to diving and am just beginning to look at dive computers, so I don't know much about them yet. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but If he was using a dive computer, can enough information be recovered from it to get a better idea of what went wrong? Is there anything like a "black box" on an aircraft that is available to divers so that investigators can piece together what went wrong in the case of a tragedy like this? Something that can record time, air consumption, depth,...ect.

I would be very disappointed if anyone on this board ever chastised you for asking a question like this,

The answer is: His computer will have logged very useful information, but it will still only be depth, tank pressure, time, etc. And, without a witness, it won't likely give much more explanation as to what happened in this incident. Dive accident investigations are much like aircraft accident investigations, in that you don't normally get to talk to the pilot.

pupdiver:
I would be very disappointed if anyone on this board ever chastised you for asking a question like this,
Well, I got chastized for answering it ... :confused: :shakehead
So I wouldn't be suprised if the same happened to him. And just as disappointed. :bluthinki

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom