Diver rescued after drifting 16 hours near Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just thought I would let everyone know I met the instructor involved, not only was there a undercurrent but on that day the sea was rough. When they serviced the SMB was used but at that point it was too late and cd not be seen above the waves. The instructor involved (his words) they clipped themselves together by BCD, and that the current was so strong they went from Lombok to Bali, back to Lombok and then when found they were on their way to Nusa Penida. He actually stated that they were so close to Bali they could see traffic on the road.
The instructor involved said he had been diving for 14 years with 1000's of dives, 7 years diving experience in that part of Gili and nothing had prepared for what had taken place.
My point being is, that we need to be reminded ourselves, that diving conditions change, within seconds, as he discovered. We must also remember that how many of us dive without a 'snorkel' it's like all things being equal, we only need it, when we don't have it with us, and when something goes wrong, then we go 'why didn't I take that knife, snorkel, torch etc.
On that day he never thought that diving in daylight, by having a torch he could have made rescue earlier, by using his torch up the SMB. But then we are dealing with Island (casual) diving.

Just thought I would let everyone know I met the instructor involved, not only was there a undercurrent but on that day the sea was rough. When they serviced the SMB was used but at that point it was too late and cd not be seen above the waves. The instructor involved (his words) they clipped themselves together by BCD, and that the current was so strong they went from Lombok to Bali, back to Lombok and then when found they were on their way to Nusa Penida. He actually stated that they were so close to Bali they could see traffic on the road.
The instructor involved said he had been diving for 14 years with 1000's of dives, 7 years diving experience in that part of Gili and nothing had prepared for what had taken place.
My point being is, that we need to be reminded ourselves, that diving conditions change, within seconds, as he discovered. We must also remember that how many of us dive without a 'snorkel' it's like all things being equal, we only need it, when we don't have it with us, and when something goes wrong, then we go 'why didn't I take that knife, snorkel, torch etc.
On that day he never thought that diving in daylight, by having a torch he could have made rescue earlier, by using his torch up the SMB. But then we are dealing with Island (casual) diving.
Welcome to SB.

I've had dive masters with thousands of dives poke fun at me carrying as much as I do, but I'm not cutting back. 16 hours drifting would just be way too much for me.

I feel dive lights are an essential part of gear, no matter where or when I'm diving. I always have my two DRIS 1,000 lumen lights on my rig and they get fresh batteries before every trip. We also dive with SMBs, even when doing shore dives in the Catalina Dive Park.
Now that the personal locator beacons and Nautilus Lifelines have become reasonable, we will definitely look into those for future dive trips, especially for off shore.
Also, things like mirrors and whistles are simple and light. I've always had them in my pocket when on boat dives.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 10:33 AM ----------

Oh questions and answers on open threads can benefit many, unlike PMs. I just did a google search for scuba dye pack, but I really wouldn't bother carrying something with a 30 minute benefit. Get the PLB with 24 hour signal. :wink:
The dye pack would be a great thing to have when the boat or helicopter can't see the SMB because of waves,though. If they are flying over you and can't see you,wouldn't it be nice to have a dye Pak? I think that would be something to hold onto until the rescue vehicle is actually in sight.

Back
Top Bottom