Diverite XT Fins....ouch!...suggestions OW-Cave crossover fins for replacements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is your trim? How is your weighting?
Are you able to hover completely static and your body in horizontal position?
Diverite and similar paddle fins are not designed for continuous kicking due to overweighted diver, or to feet-heavy diver due to bad weight distribution.
I suggest you start searching for proper weighting and horizontal trim in this forum, or google it.
Browse youtube and look for "essentials of technical diving" video - excellent video demonstrating good trim and buoyancy control.

I haven't actually had a chance to dive with them, or use gear in the pool. I'm just swimming laps to get used to the fins and strengthen my legs and lungs. I'm going to try them once more *soon*....if they hurt the same as they have before, I'm trolling the tulsa shops for the Hollis fins.

Last edited:
Now, I dive the DiveRite fin, and I had some similar problems (not that extreme), but I found it to be the top of the footpocket rolling inwards as you put the fin on. Quite annoying, but as I am now aware of the problem, It rarely happens anymore.

I like the XTs, as they are light, and works well. I do however find them a little bit too long for traveling with.

after a very long week i finally got the chance to give the DR fins one more chance....and now my feet are sore after 10 min in the water. The dorsal surface and lateral edge of my feet were red immediately after taking them off, and that did not feel good. They are on the market now...anyone interested in buying some barely-used L/XL DR fins should send me a message. Guess I'll be checking the Tulsa OK shops for some new fins. bummer.

I find trying to get good fitting fins as difficult as finding a good fitting mask. I've found one good fitting mask in over 15 years. The search for good fitting fins continues, although I may have found them in the DR XTs.

for the record, I tried to buy the Hollis fins at a LDS, but nobody carries them in Tulsa. Got a phone-in deal at Leisure Pro though, only $120 after I told them the last fins I bought there hurt my feet so badly! I'll report back how these compare. Thanks for the comments.

I do wonder a bit if the mechanics of the fin motion are a bit different when swimming at the surface than they would be while diving. I know I find it much more difficult to kick effectively on the surface, and I have to use much more force.

I do wonder a bit if the mechanics of the fin motion are a bit different when swimming at the surface than they would be while diving. I know I find it much more difficult to kick effectively on the surface, and I have to use much more force.

i did a lot of kicking under water after realizing it didn't feel right on the surface. I also found that a side stroke worked better for testing the flutter kick. I am having trouble practicing the frog kick though...i think i need a weight belt for that, and a deeper pool. SO, with the new fins I'll mostly be working on strengthening my legs with the flutter, and wait for OW to work on my frog.

update: got the Hollis F1 fins.

impressions: Holy crap they're fast! I never felt like i was moving that fast with the DR fins, not even close. More importantly, they don't hurt my feet like the DR fins did. I am, however, concerned these new fins are either too big for me, or more likely, i need some more robust boots to use them. My thin neoprene boots are fine mid foot but theres a distinct thunk-thunk as my toes hit the top and then the bottom of the box when i flutter. I see many people have had fit problems with this fin, so i'm going to take them in to my LDS and see if they have some boots that might solve the problem.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2014 at 03:21 PM ----------

after much research, I'm still struggling with the fit of the hollis F1 fins. I've opted to continue that discussion here.

Back
Top Bottom