Divers dying every lobster opening. This has to stop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting statement. As a marine biologist who has dived SoCal for 45 years, I'd have to disagree with it. The appearance of the Asian seaweed Sargassum horneri in 2003 has seriously affected many reefs in SoCal from the northern Channel Islands to as far south as Guadalupe Island. Take of some species including sheephead has left their populations far lower than they should be under healthy conditions. Kelp bass had to be protected as early as the 1950s due to overharvesting of the larger ones (bulls). Take of lobster has radically altered the age structure of the populations. Yes, we may have a "lot" of lobster... but look at the average size of the population.

I will never disagree with a Marine Biologist particularly you Dr. Bill ;-) However the statement was in comparison to what I have seen in Europe not in comparison to what you may have encountered in your years on the island. Healthiest was used relatively. Nobody can compare what we have here to Europe and particularly the Mediterranean. Which was fished for ages without scuba yet there is no fish...

Returning to the lobster discussion, again I cannot argue with a scientist about the lobster populations dwindling or the average age dropping, but we live in an overpopulated planet and we are only going to see resources change. I am not surprised, yet I am not convinced also that there are no other factors that have nothing to do with hunting.

....A common theme here; the law is to protect you from other people, not you from yourself. This assumes you are an adult of adequate decisional capacity (e.g.: not mentally retarded, delirious from a medical condition, actively psychotic from schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, demented from Alzheimer's disease, etc...).

Richard.

Perfect summary drrich2.

Short of banning an activity, the only real solution is education and repeated warnings. TSandM already summed it up nicely; people who are heading into danger purely out of ignorance will understand and heed a warning and be open to education... those who are arrogant or have an inflated opinion of their personal abilities will take offense and ignore the warning.

This simple truth holds true for all high-risk activities.

A simple firm reminder by the dive shops and dive boat crews that "No bug is worth your life so please stay alert to your surroundings, keep track of your buddy, and watch your spg!!", and "We lose several divers a year out here hunting lobsters so be careful!!" is about all you can do, but might save a few poor souls.

Best wishes.

I realize I propably have a different view on this due to being European, but it seems you can prevent a lot of unnecessary deaths for the expense of some 'liberty'.

please don't think that Americans in general do not care about what happens to other people. I believe that there is a huge difference between educating about the dangers of certain behaviors and trying to create laws that would attempt to force people to avoid these behaviors.

I understand the notion of defending individual freedom, but what does this mean if you carry on the thought?

Okay, let's take a look at your examples.

Total individual freedom (do anything as long as you don't hurt others) means:
- completely legalize heroin and other hard drugs (driving under the influence of drugs would still not be allowed)

This is where nuance comes into play. Heroin and other hard drugs tend to mess up the mind (such as cocaine and methamphetamine triggering psychotic states where people can literally 'go crazy') and/or the will (addition itself) and judgment/self-control to the point where the user effectively loses some decisional capacity and becomes a hazard to other people.

The example would be cigarette smoking. I see t.v. ad.s claiming smoking kills 1 in 4 smokers. I don't know whether that's accurate, but it does kill a lot of people. But 2nd hand smoke seems to be a particularly minor threat to others, overall, smokers can generally drive and function in society, and they don't generally break into other peoples' homes & stores to fund their habit. So here we have a 'drug' where self-harm is the key issue, and it is legal.

- no compulsory seatbelts in cars

Yes, probably the best example for differentiating those people who prioritize personal free will & liberty vs. those who prioritize general well-being 1st. I wear a seat belt because it is wise; I bitterly resent the effort of government to force me to do so. To me, this one issue best represents the concept in our nation's founding documents of the Freedom of the Pursuit of Happiness. What else does that mean? Why else is it written in, if not to answer questions like this?

- do not try to stop people comitting suicide, it's their choice

And a lot of people would agree. From what I see working in mental health, a very simple take on this complex issue would be:

1.) A lot of suicidal people have compromised judgment when they make the attempt, or leading up to it.

2.) A lot of suicidal people, if prevented, do not re-attempt later, and while a lot do, many do go on to lead lives with some measure of quality.

3.) Many suicidal people don't so much want to be dead as they wish to escape a miserable situation.

4.) People who do rationally elect to pursue suicide of their own free will and in the context of an informed decision (e.g.: very painful terminal illness with no practical hope to recovery; wretched quality of life) have considerable support, leading to legalization of Physician-assisted suicide in some places.

- no compulsory school education
- etc.

Minors are not viewed as competent to have and to exercise the full rights and privileges of adults. The only application I see here is that of whether the State can make parents send their kids to school. The issue of the State's right to intervene in child welfare issues, such as abuse, neglect, immunization, exploitation and education, would be too major a tangent to go off on. We don't force adults to go to school.

I realize I propably have a different view on this due to being European, but it seems you can prevent a lot of unnecessary deaths for the expense of some 'liberty'.

Which again gets back to the question of whether we 'give' people liberty (if we think it's ours to give to begin with) because it's a fundamental human right needful for life to have meaning, or whether we do so as 'the State' when we think it's for their own good, but can with hold it when we disagree.

What you said about nationality and view got me thinking - many people who came to the U.S. were fleeing oppression of their religious liberty in Europe (though there were other reasons for coming), and the issue of governmental control came up in the Revolutionary War, when U.S. citizens were willing to fight, die and kill in the pursuit of liberty and self-determination. You could argue that just submitting to British rule would have resulted in a much lower body count. But somehow people thought there was something worth fighting for, and more to life than the most people breathing for the longest time.

In reference to the role of the military in securing our freedoms, people in the U.S. often say to remember that 'Freedom isn't free.' That is true. But some of the blood price we pay for liberty is the blood of people using their liberty to make bad decisions.

Richard.

Interesting statement. As a marine biologist who has dived SoCal for 45 years, I'd have to disagree with it. The appearance of the Asian seaweed Sargassum horneri in 2003 has seriously affected many reefs in SoCal from the northern Channel Islands to as far south as Guadalupe Island. Take of some species including sheephead has left their populations far lower than they should be under healthy conditions. Kelp bass had to be protected as early as the 1950s due to overharvesting of the larger ones (bulls). Take of lobster has radically altered the age structure of the populations. Yes, we may have a "lot" of lobster... but look at the average size of the population.

I think it is relative, Dr B. SoCal may be less than it once was, but you only have to dive in the underwater desert known as the Med once, and you will pine for the teeming ecology of home.

why do we feel it is our obligation to force people not to do stupid dangerous things... evolution works this way... do stupid stuff and get killed you have less kids and your stupid genes are not passed on to your progeny.....
be smart and you have a greater chance of propagating and continuing your genetic line...

Not to sidetrack the thread again, but I read a superb book the other day (Andrew Marr's History of the World - intellectually tough going, but highly recommended), and he was at one point discussing a fascinating point. Based upon studies of cranial capacity of early man, human being reached their apex intelligence about 10 - 20,000 years ago when we were still nomadic hunter-gatherers. Back then, you kept up and survived off your wits, or you died off. Once people settled down in agricultural villages there was a natural tendency for families and communities to tend to and support those who otherwise might have died off, which began the slow but inexorable dilution in human intelligence. This has been masked by the population explosion which by dint of sheet numbers has allowed outstanding individuals to drag the human race forward, but slowly but steadily we are making sure that the less intelligent stay alive and breed, and thereby as a species we steadily become dumber.

Idiocracy_movie_poster.jpg

I will never disagree with a Marine Biologist particularly you Dr. Bill ;-) However the statement was in comparison to what I have seen in Europe not in comparison to what you may have encountered in your years

Ah, I understand.. and agree. The waters over there were overfished as early as the 1500s in some cases (and, if my memory serves me correctly, by the 1300s in some parts of England).

There certainly may be issues affecting lobster populations besides over-harvesting. One could go back to the days when sea otters probably took a number of the tasty crustaceans instead of us.

I don't quite get the idea of letting someone kill themselves to strengthen our gene pool. Address the problem before government steps in to ban harvesting lobster altogether. Perhaps issue licenses after a short course in diver safety, but do something. To let people go out and die isn't a good solution. With medicine and knowledge, we change the concept of survival of the fittest. Most of us would be dead were it not for outside help, such as medical or our beloved PADI training. Go ahead and make another PADI certification.

The financial burden of an uninsured, crippled diver is astronomical. Long term medical care is expensive. I , as a taxpayer, would rather not pay for another persons lack of preparation or recklessness... At the very least, require insurance before issuing a lobster license. We do it with our driving rights.

Stay safe

I don't quite get the idea of letting someone kill themselves to strengthen our gene pool. Address the problem before government steps in to ban harvesting lobster altogether. Perhaps issue licenses after a short course in diver safety, but do something. To let people go out and die isn't a good solution. With medicine and knowledge, we change the concept of survival of the fittest. Most of us would be dead were it not for outside help, such as medical or our beloved PADI training. Go ahead and make another PADI certification.

The financial burden of an uninsured, crippled diver is astronomical. Long term medical care is expensive. I , as a taxpayer, would rather not pay for another persons lack of preparation or recklessness... At the very least, require insurance before issuing a lobster license. We do it with our driving rights.

Stay safe

That's a very good point... In most places now, land hunters have to take a hunter safety course before being issued a license.

I had a dive tainted by hunters yesterday. I was enjoying a leisurely dive when interrupted by the sound of a spear gun going off. Turns out there were several free divers spearfishing right on top of me. Even though I was following the terrain, they kept shooting from the surface as I passed underneath them. None of them could hit the broad side of a barn because they didn't have their skills down and were too busy thrashing around to take careful aim. Land hunters would shame these guys. You don't take a shot unless your certain of good shot placement and a quick kill. They were shooting a two medium size parrot fish. I don't hunt, so I don't know the game rules, but I've never heard of anyone spearing parrot fish. Anyway, they could incorporate some education into that aquatic hunter safety class.

… Address the problem before government steps in to ban harvesting lobster altogether. Perhaps issue licenses after a short course in diver safety, but do something…

Isn’t that what diver certification is supposed to do? Why would your short course be any more effective than a diving course is “supposed” to be?

Instead of “but do something” it really should be “do something effective, if anyone can figure out what that is”.

Back
Top Bottom