Divers Flag Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using one of those basic dive flags and float with the foam circular cylinder about 10 inches long and 3 inches in diameter. This past weekend while doing a dive it became unusable. It was never that great to begin with.

I am now looking to replace it but all the ones I have looked at online get bad reviews. Can someone recommend a good float & flag. One that will stand up to a little abuse and pulls without much drag.
Thanks

Google "torpedo scuba flag float". They are popular with freediving hunters. Riffe makes a very nice one for $200!.

I have one of the $40 plastic inflatable torpedoes and am very happy with the low drag. Technically, it may not meet your state regs -- mine has an 8" flag rather than the legal 12" one, but the float itself is highly visible.

I was also looking at the MAKO Hawaiian Hard Float. Has anyone used this and how well does it stay upright?

Those styrofoam buoys are worthless. With a little current, they get pulled under, then the foam collapses, and the darn thing just sinks to the bottom. I use the ones with the orange foam buoy on it. I have no idea what brand it is, its generally around $45 or so.

I was also looking at the MAKO Hawaiian Hard Float. Has anyone used this and how well does it stay upright?

I use one all the time an I am very happy with it. As long as you buy the optional flag/weight attachement it is very stable. We often drift dive with it and we even tow it behind the boat as we motor up to the final drop point. It is stable being towed in choppy water even at boats speeds of 8-10 knots. It will not flip over and stay there under normal diving conditions in my expereince. It is so much easier to tow than even a much smaller typical dive flag.

It works great just as DD said. I have one and it doubles as a throw when I am in the boat.....

Is the "Fla Legal" just the size of the flag (visibility)? Funny how $59.95 becomes $95.80 just making it complete for use... nice marketing approach... looks like a good solid idea though.

I have one and would recommend it. It is easy to tow, and if you have to surface with your buddy it is easy for both to hold on to and face one another and rest. The manufacturer recommends adding a 2lb weight to keep stable keel. It threads through the flag strap. The other benefit it can double as a Lifeguard rescue can.

Is the "Fla Legal" just the size of the flag (visibility)? Funny how $59.95 becomes $95.80 just making it complete for use... nice marketing approach... looks like a good solid idea though.

The flag meets the Florida statututes for a diver towed flag. I think the requirements are that it must have a stiffener to hold it vertically and the minimum size is 12 X 12.. Don't hold me to the size requirement, you can look it up.

Back
Top Bottom