Divi Tiara closes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex777

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The Cayman Net News is reporting today that the Divi Tiara Beach Resort on Cayman Brac has closed down, effective immediately. If you have a booking there, I suggest you contact your travel agent ASAP.

Vetdrm:
Any indication of financial difficulties?

I've heard from the condo next door that the property may be for sale.

For those of you who booked directly with the resort and have future reservations at Divi Tiara, you can call 800-367-3484 for a refund. They were very accomodating and are working with Brac Reef to get us relocated. I see in the article that Cayman Air is working with the employees to waive penalty fees. I wonder if that extends to tourists who may not be able to find other lodging on Brac?

The person I spoke to at Divi corporate said there
were several reasons, but the biggest problem was
getting enough low cost flights into Brac. Said there
is now only a nine seater that goes to Brac. I'm
dubious about this as I think there are also a few
direct flights from the USA to Brac on Cayman Air.

Divi corporate is trying to place as many people as
they can that had reservations at other resorts on
Brac and will contact the individual / group once they know if
they could place you. They said price probably will
not change.

I have a reservation there for a February trip through my LDS. Just called the LDS and they've already got things taken care of. We are booked into Brac Reef and it should be the same price as we would have had at the Divi. The LDS also has two other groups going there and Divi is really working with them on those. Although the closing seems to be pretty abrupt, it looks like they are doing a pretty good job of taking care of customers. It's really too bad about the staff, who didn't get time to do anything about it.

If this helps any a friend owns a place on Brac that he rents out for a reasonable amount. There are two units (top/bottom) - both the same (1 bed/bath/kitchen/living room). We rented a car and had some good fun. If people send PM I will send details.

FWIW - I have no interest (financial or otherwise) just that it was good fun.

Yes, Cayman Airways does fly a jet in and out of the Brac, once a day, most days of the week. Otherwise the flights are the 18 seat Twin Otter, with a two bag, 50 pound weight limit.

Back
Top Bottom