Diving Deeper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been down to 175' on air and didn't "feel" any narcosis. I've done plenty of dives to the 145' range and didn't "feel" any narcosis. Does that mean it wasn't there? No, it was there ready to bite my back side at any given second. I'm certainly not particulary proud of those dives -- I don't know why someone would be either.

It's there, even if you don't feel it, and that's the scary part. As soon as you think you have it "handled", it will bite you. It may not happen today, tomorrow, or next month, but you're taking your chances everytime you do it.

Take care.

Mike

Originally posted by NetDoc
Now we are starting to see RStone soften his stance when he said (and not so accurately, I might add)...

Netdoc you can twist my own words around on me all you want, but and ill quote again from page 2 "I guess it just depends how you define NARCED." Narcosis to you is the second you hit the water and narcosis starts. I however define narcd as the point at which it impairs you so as not to be a competent, and safe diver anymore. That has always been my position and i have never changed that position.

I would believe his first statement IF he could get one (just one) of his "Experts" to say that he could dive to 130fsw without being narced.

What i have provided is experts who state that narcosis affects divers differently at different depths based on numerious factors, and while i seem to be the only one quoting experts your quoting GI Joe.

I just do not agree that you are as macho as you think! I too believe impairment is the point you are under nitrogen narcosis. I also believe that you are using "experts" to hide behind your own faulty reasoning.

Your experts say susceptibility to nitrogen narcosis varies (They do not quantify it; they just say it does vary). With this contention I do not disagree.

:nono: However, -YOU- say that you have been to 130fsw without being narced. With this, I DO disagree. :nono:

and I quote...

"I guess im more the exception, then the rule.. ive been on many deep dives and have never got narc'd, ive always been very aware of what is going on around me, and very alert, although ive never went deeper then 130'."

-I- say you are in denial and that denial will put you and your buddy into unsafe situations. Just because experts say susceptibility varies and -YOU- do not "feel" it, does NOT mean that -YOU- are not narced... it is a non-sequiter. Unless you have a gauge you cannot measure how impaired you are! My shoulder is my built in gauge. I can feel the pain just drain away. Other than that, nitrogen narcosis can be quite transparent to the victim. You may not realize you are narced until you kill yourself. A rational (ie safe) diver will consider that “transparency” and dive cautiously. A Yahoo will secretly believe that those natural laws are only for strokes and will use the "many" times he has been to a certain depth as proof of his invincibility. It seems that only death will finally convince him that he is wrong. You can’t rely on luck to get you out of every dangerous situation. Of course, then all his buddies will call him a stroke and wonder how he lasted as long as he did.

As for GI Joe, I truly believe that he is the only one on this board that can go to 130fsw without being narced. And no, I don't think you rate with GI Joe. He has been diving longer than the two of us put together.

I do apologize to the board for taking up so much space on this subject. I do not want anyone to think that this erroneous line of reasoning is actually true. I want all divers to dive safely and WITHIN their limits. RStone, I do not wish to make an enemy of you either, I just STRONGLY disagree with your cavalier attitude concerning nitrogen narcosis. There is obviously nothing I can say to convince you to adopt a safer attitude, so I will comment no more in this thread.

Originally posted by NetDoc
However, -YOU- say that you have been to 130fsw without being narced. With this, I DO disagree.

NetDoc do you just pull quotes out of a hat? I have never said such a thing and would never say such a thing as i have not been to 130fsw nor do i have plans to anytime in the near future. I think the narcosis is getting to you.

rstone... what?

You said, and I quote directly from your post:

"I guess im more the exception, then the rule.. ive been on many deep dives and have never got narc'd, ive always been very aware of what is going on around me, and very alert, although ive never went deeper then 130'."

From this we all assumed you'd been to 130' , but no deeper, and that you were not narced at that depth.

And I was supporting you being able to say that:(

Mike

FYI NetDoc.....GI Joe has actually been to 234ffw at the end of the banzai line at 40 Fathom Grotto,oh and by the way he was "with wood" as they say.I can say he didn't appear narced.I was on mix ,so I paid close attention to him just in case he had any emergencies.Very close to where he was were the markers of a few brave souls who perished there diving deep air.

Since Nitrogen Narcosis is a lot like being drunk............

If I put Krypton in my drysuit will I be 6'6" and bullet proof like I am when I drink tequilla?

Can I have a big red "S" put on the chest?

Just a thought!

ID

quote:

"If I put Krypton in my drysuit will I be 6'6" and bullet proof like I am when I drink tequila?"

I would consult the Super-friends on this as it would relate to which superpowers you were referring to and what planet you hail from. If you were from krypton you would not have narcosis at any depth but by adding krypton gas you would (depending on the amount) go from nakred to qualifying as an anchor. As for tequila this I would add only at depth for it would only clarify things.

1. Power of Superheroes
Marvel Comics issue 2, 10 ,12, 21-99
2. Physics and Physiology Of the planet Krypton
K. Kent, Best Publishing
3. Batman’s Guide to Health an Wellness of Superheroes
8th Addition, Wayne Foundation Publishing

:p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom