Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ken. Tone is notoriously hard to discern in text and with the (understandably) high tension factor its made for some unpleasant posts which I think are really down to miscommunication.

Agreed, I hope I understood their stance right and helped clarify it for you.

Agreed, I hope I understood their stance right and helped clarify it for you.
I get it, I really do. Again, thanks for the job you do. There really is no upside to it but you have my admiration.

"Sometimes, being a hero means overcoming overwhelming odds to achieve an impossible mission. Sometimes, being a hero means pulling on your boots one more time while the world goes to hell around you."

I'm just a 30 ft reef diver trying to wrap my head around the complexity of this dive:

There were 4 bottles at the mound (~150ft), 2 at 70ft and 3 at 20ft for deco for the two divers.

Am I mistaken to assume that as soon as the CCR was abandoned in the room of dreams that was game over? If it is estimated that they potentially had accumulated 8hrs of deco without the 2nd CCR did they have anywhere near enough deco gas?

Would meeting the support diver and passing the message of needing more deco gas been a possibility if they were available topside since this location is so remote?

I'm just a 30 ft reef diver trying to wrap my head around the complexity of this dive:

There were 4 bottles at the mound (~150ft), 2 at 70ft and 3 at 20ft for deco for the two divers.

Am I mistaken to assume that as soon as the CCR was abandoned in the room of dreams that was game over? If it is estimated that they potentially had accumulated 8hrs of deco without the 2nd CCR did they have anywhere near enough deco gas?

Would meeting the support diver and passing the message of needing more deco gas been a possibility if they were available topside since this location is so remote?

Don't forget about each divers also had 2 of 95 bailout bottles & they put 1 AL80 safety bottle stationed near the return entrance of the Pit restriction at 270' deep & another AL80 safety bottle at the Lockwood tunnel junction. The problem snowballed when Diver 2 took off the CCR & penetrated the Revelation Space restriction with his 95 Bailout bottle, leaving the CCR & his other full 95 bailout bottle at the entrance to the restriction. When the came back out to the Room of Dreams with zero visibility due to silt-out condition, Diver 2 couldn't find the CCR & his 2nd 95 bailout bottle. Also by the time they reached to the entrance to the Pit restriction, they could not find the AL80 safety bottle either. See my earlier sketch in page 22, post # 219, Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Last edited:
Yes, saw that, very helpful for visualization.

However, regarding the 95s, one was abandoned with the ccr and the other 3 were being used to make it back to mound from EoL now that one diver was OC. So those wouldn't be available for deco and 2 al80s I suspect would be very little of a dent in 8hrs of deco at considerable depth.

Don't forget about each divers also had 2 of 95 bailout bottles & they put 1 AL80 safety bottle stationed near the return entrance of the Pit restriction at 270' deep & another AL80 safety bottle at the Lockwood tunnel junction. The problem snowballed when Diver 2 took off the CCR & penetrated the Revelation Space restriction with his 95 Bailout bottle, leaving the CCR & his other full 95 bailout bottle at the entrance to the restriction. When the came back out to the Room of Dreams with zero visibility due to silt-out condition, Diver 2 couldn't find the CCR & his 2nd 95 bailout bottle. Also by the time they reached to the entrance to the Pit restriction, they could not find the AL80 safety bottle either. See my earlier sketch in page 22, post # 219, Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink
There's nothing thus far to indicate that the diver removed his rebreather in order to penetrate that restriction. My guess is that he removed it to exit.

Very different.

Yes, saw that, very helpful for visualization.

However, regarding the 95s, one was abandoned with the ccr and the other 3 were being used to make it back to mound from EoL now that one diver was OC. So those wouldn't be available for deco and 2 al80s I suspect would be very little of a dent in 8hrs of deco at considerable depth.

At least the 1st AL80 would get them to the 2nd AL80 & to the mount. They may ended up getting bent but alive than the current situation.

As I mentioned in post #186, page 19, if the above scenario is correct (we don't know if it is), leaving the CCR & trying to get into the Revelation Room at silt-out condition is not a good idea. He should have kept the CCR on, wait for his buddy to return to the Room of Dreams & thumb the dive. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

There's nothing thus far to indicate that the diver removed his rebreather in order to penetrate that restriction. My guess is that he removed it to exit.

Very different.

So, why would he remove the good & functioning CCR then?

Back
Top Bottom