Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Families deserve an ACCURATE interpretation to the scenario BEFORE anyone on a stupid internet thread deserves a response. I can tell you a few people have definately fallen into the "your money ain't no good here boy" category for our facility as a result of this and other threads. Quit being cowards and put your actual names in your responses so I know who to ban from my shop. The number one cause of fatalities is still medical so instead of worrying about what happened here, if you don't want to be the next guy my friends and I drag out, hit effing gym. Here is something from a fellow diver.

icon1.gif
Accident analysis and social media: a recovery divers perspective

Good morning all. Normally I don't post surrounding an incident,but I have had enough and something needs to be said. To the moderators, please feel free to relocate this. To anyone else, please repost in as many forums and groups as you want.

I have been diving for 32 years of which 22 has been cave diving. in that time, I have participated in 6 body recoveries. after this past weekend, that number has, unfortunately gone up to 8.

The primary purpose of the IUCRR is to aid law enforcement in the collection of evidence and the extraction of victims from the overhead environment. In a nutshell, once a victim or victims is located, the job of the recovery diver is to first document EVERYTHING and then do the extraction. Sometimes, if not most, this takes multiple teams. With the technology of today, most scenes are captured on camera as part of the evidence collection process. upon completion of operations, everything is handed over to the sheriffs. From there it can go many ways and usually the IUCRR is done. We all go home, hug our loved ones and get some needed rest.

Accident analysis is a cornerstone of our sport. Without it, I feel our sport would not be as safe as it is today. After a fatality, the only people who know all the facts are the deceased. The next in line are the recovery divers. Many times they have a very good idea what transpired during the fateful dive and there are usually many conversations amongst the team in the days following discussing just such. When there is a fatality in a car accident, one does not see a State trooper posting on social media discussing evidence or theorizing what possibly happened. So I ask, why should that be different here? Furthermore, social media is continually being browsed by others outside our community such as family members, lawyers and the news media. If a recovery diver divulges info, they are possibly setting themselves up to relentless phone calls from the news media or even worse, having to spend days in court during a lawsuit having to explain what they posted. Part of being in the IUCRR is that if there is a lawsuit, Ken will be the man in court stating facts, not the recovery diver. I don't know about you, but I do not want to miss days of work for that.

The following is my story from the events this past weekend. I will not divulge information about any evidence or any of my theories. please do not pm me as I don't check them. I anyone does have any questions, you may contact me in a respectful manner and I will answer if I can. My apologies up front for the morbidity.

Saturday was a normal day for me. I was returning home from teaching a class at Blue Grotto when I got the call that some divers were overdue at Eagles Nest. After arriving home, I told my wife what was going on, loaded up gear for diving deep and long, had a quick bite and gave all of my family extra long hugs. Even though she already knew, I told my wife that I probably would not be home until sometime on sunday. I spent the drive getting status updates and making calls to people I knew were capable of participating in what could possibly a massive extraction. Keep in mind, the dive plan of the divers is not known and their current location is not known. It is also a Saturday evening. Some people are out to dinner or at family functions. At this point it was agreed that we should get as many people on standby as possible, but for now we needed 2-3 teams for an initial search. upon arriving at the scene, the number of emergency vehicles was overwhelming. If one has ever been there, you know that the parking area is small. I parked my truck 4 cars back on the entry road and walked in. The first team had just started their dive and where going to search the basin followed by a dive upstream. During their absence, we spent our time going over gear, making plans and hoping the team returns early with good news. After nearly 4 hours the first team is now in the basin. another team went in to get some info. No sight of them. it has now been nearly 12 hrs since the missing have started their dive. We waited for the first team to surface to get any more info before my buddy and I gear up to search down stream.

at around 03:45 my buddy and I depart to search down stream. we are prepared to do a very long dive if needed. It was agreed that if we find them, I would document via camera and my buddy would take notes. A short time later, we located the divers in the downstream section at the drop to the pit. For the next 45 minutes we document the entire scene both on video and wetnotes. When finished, we went back through everything to make sure there was nothing missing. Some of the things that need to be checked are.
Position of body
status and contents of mask(yes, you are staring a dead person in the face)
eyes open or closed(yes again you are looking at a dead person)
condition of hands,especially fingernails
condition of equipment: this includes gas quantity, valve positions, tank labels. if a rebreather is involved, its status is recorded as well.
Sometimes a body needs to be moved in order to check things. So yes, not only do you have to look at a dead person, you have to touch them as well.
After documenting and securing all of the evidence, we decided it was time to head for the door. The only redeeming factor to this dive(aside from helping the family) was that we got to watch the sun rise while on deco.
Total dive time was near 4 hrs
Upon surfacing, we were notified that family members of the deceased were present. normally the recovery divers are isolated from this, but with the small area here it was not possible. it went much better than I feared and that's all I will say there. after loading my gear and giving a statement. I drove home. 33 hours after my last sleep, I set my head on a pillow and had a good nap.

Over the following 2 days, the recovery was wrapped up. it took several more dives and many more hours to complete. The family can now start the grieving process. I am proud of the job the team did. We helped bring closure to a tragedy. Everyone acted in a very professional and efficient manner. If someday I perish in a cave, I could only hope that my recovery go as well as this.

And now for my rant:

SOME OF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!!
Many times, even before a recovery has been completed, people are out there demanding info. There are statements out there such as, "if no one releases info, then speculation is going to run rampant as this is all we have". WTF!!! Have a little (insert your religion here) damn respect for the recovery team. You are asking for details that only they know and then bad mouthing them for not releasing it. as recovery divers, we have all made great sacrifices. we have lost work, spent gobs of money, risk getting bent, leave worrying families at home, etc, etc. Some people have a lot of nerve feeling that they are entitled to know right now all the details pertaining to the accident. For the love of (Insert your religion here) give it a little time. For those of you that say the details never get released? ********!!! When I witnessed an accident and then did the recovery of a diver in devils last spring, there was a complete report posted less than a week later on various social media sites. Come on people, have a little compassion for your fellow divers. Yes we can all learn from others mistakes, but it can wait. I'm really pissed off about some peoples behavior and all of my colleages agree. This community is small and there is no room for this behavior. As a recovery diver, I don't owe anyone a (insert religion here) damn thing!! Especially some arm chair,,, monday morning quarterback!!! If anyone thinks they are entitled to info on accidents, then why the hell were you not around when:
I had to purchase gear
Lost work
Had a worrying family
was tired
was hungry

Dealing with dead people is no fun at all(no, I don't have nightmares and no I do not need counseling). I don't even need a thankyou. what I and most if not all recovery divers need is for some of you to get down off your soap boxes and shut your pie hole. The very people that are helping a bad event like this are the ones that you are pissing on. you know who you are and when I see some of you in person I will tell you right to your face.

Safe Diving
Ted McCoy

Pete, I was just wondering when you say this,
The NSS-CDS has come out with a statement to this effect and some businesses have asked for this on FB. They don't get the need for us to figure out why this stuff happens. I get the idea that they feel we should just shut up until we're spoken to. I have tried to start a dialog about giving out facts on another forum and was kicked off of there and also in two threads on FB and was blocked in both discussions. People are interested in preserving something, and are forgetting the effect that not divulging these facts has on the community. No, I'm not going to identify these draconian entities because I don't want to give them any free press.

Speaking of assumptions, why do you mention that (for the 2nd time)
I mention contaminated gas because its probably the only causal factor which actually demands a speedy examination to avoid future catastrophe to someone else who has gotten fills from the same source recently.

There has been at least one "save" (in FL) by the rapid publication of info about a compressor failure which was detected by a diver's CO monitor.

Last edited:
Many times, even before a recovery has been completed, people are out there demanding info.
Kristi, I love you and love Cave Country Dive Shop. Feel free to ban me from your shop if you want over this. My feelings won't be hurt.

However, I found out a lot of these facts from News Broadcasts. Why is it "OK" to find out about it there than right here? We want the info. We need the info. When the two accidents happened in Ginnie around the first of April, not knowing what happened kept me from diving. You took me to task for starting a thread back then about this even though I had my reasons. I had received over a dozen phone calls from worried people wanting to be sure I was OK. Those calls ceased after I posted the thread so mission accomplished. However, since I had no idea what happened, I elected to not dive that weekend and the rest of the week. There were a number who joined me in that.

We need a better system. One devoid of ego, emotions and ambition.

Of all the deaths that have happened in the last year, the only way I got to know many of the reasons for them was through gossip. Not all, and sometimes I get some great inside info. In one instance I got permission and encouragement to post that info which I did. More often though, I am sworn to secrecy and you can be sure that I keep my word. I'm lucky, but what about those without connections? They have no idea why someone died and so the fear increases, the speculation percolates and gossip prevails. In the long run, this toxic gossip is bad for our community and it still gets to the family? Mouth to mouth gossip is more prevalent and toxic than any forum. On forums, people can be corrected. Sometimes gently, sometimes it's the Scuba Inquisition, but they get corrected. Did you catch Good Morning America this morning? This incident was all over that and we learned that they were all narced out and that their decision making was flawed. The revulsion among the hosts was disheartening.

Our only defense against gossip is to post the facts as we get them. I think we need to have a conversation about who, what and how this can happen. Kicking me and others to the curb will not stop this.

The NSS-CDS has come out with a statement to this effect and some businesses have asked for this on FB. They don't get the need for us to figure out why this stuff happens. I get the idea that they feel we should just shut up until we're spoken to. I have tried to start a dialog about giving out facts on another forum and was kicked off of there and also in two threads on FB and was blocked in both discussions. People are interested in preserving something, and are forgetting the effect that not divulging these facts has on the community. No, I'm not going to identify these draconian entities because I don't want to give them any free press.
Because you persist in calling for info when the recovery divers aren't even dry. Your incessant and selfish clamoring for instant accident information is tiresome. Perhaps you should participate in a recovery and then you can live stream all the "facts" on facebook? Yes most accidents aren't investigated past the law enforcement level of concluding the absence of foul play. But instead of whining about what "everyone" isn't doing, maybe you should write the next book about these incidents?

I would wholeheartedly support anyone who decides to "update" Sheck's book. But I'm not qualified to do so and I'm not going to bitch and whine when people who are qualified decide that satisfying the peanut gallery just isn't worth years of their life. The recent USDOT publication of a fatal scuba cylinder explosion took 5 years and $100K worth of time and chemical analysis. And that was just one incident with few if any human factors at all.

Ted McCoy:
SOME OF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!!
Many times, even before a recovery has been completed, people are out there demanding info. There are statements out there such as, "if no one releases info, then speculation is going to run rampant as this is all we have". WTF!!! Have a little (insert your religion here) damn respect for the recovery team. You are asking for details that only they know and then bad mouthing them for not releasing it. as recovery divers, we have all made great sacrifices. we have lost work, spent gobs of money, risk getting bent, leave worrying families at home, etc, etc. Some people have a lot of nerve feeling that they are entitled to know right now all the details pertaining to the accident. For the love of (Insert your religion here) give it a little time. For those of you that say the details never get released? ********!!! When I witnessed an accident and then did the recovery of a diver in devils last spring, there was a complete report posted less than a week later on various social media sites. Come on people, have a little compassion for your fellow divers. Yes we can all learn from others mistakes, but it can wait. I'm really pissed off about some peoples behavior and all of my colleages agree. This community is small and there is no room for this behavior. As a recovery diver, I don't owe anyone a (insert religion here) damn thing!! Especially some arm chair,,, monday morning quarterback!!! If anyone thinks they are entitled to info on accidents, then why the hell were you not around when:
I had to purchase gear
Lost work
Had a worrying family
was tired
was hungry

I won't go into the entire story of my experience, except to give the following bits of information.

Saturday night I was called and asked to be part of the recovery. It was the second such call I've received in the last month, and the third such call I've received in the last six months. I was at dinner with my wife, and let's just say she's not happy.

Sunday morning I was supposed to spend the entire day teaching an intro to cave class. My students had made an effort to come from out of town, and although we completed their course before I drove to Eagle's Nest, I feel awful that I shorted them on a full day of diving.

If you have never volunteered to be a part of a recovery team, you really have no idea of the time, effort, and emotional toll it takes. This is done as a service to the surviving families to help bring them closure and some comfort.

And those of you that are demanding answers now need to just STFU for a bit.

Because you persist in calling for info when the recovery divers aren't even dry. Your incessant and selfish clamoring for instant accident information is tiresome. Perhaps you should participate in a recovery and then you can live stream all the "facts" on facebook? Yes most accidents aren't investigated past the law enforcement level of concluding the absence of foul play. But instead of whining about what "everyone" isn't doing, maybe you should write the next book about these incidents?

I would wholeheartedly support anyone who decides to "update" Sheck's book. But I'm not qualified to do so and I'm not going to bitch and whine when people who are qualified decide that satisfying the peanut gallery just isn't worth years of their life. The recent USDOT publication of a fatal scuba cylinder explosion took 5 years and $100K worth of time and chemical analysis. And that was just one incident with few if any human factors at all.

Thank you.

Mouth to mouth gossip is more prevalent and toxic than any forum.

Pete --

I think your criticism would be more accurately aimed at general human behavior than at the efforts at responsible behavior of the rescue/recovery teams and emergency services.

People are always going to gossip. That doesn't make it right, that's just a fact. And you should know better than anyone that internet forums rapidly become mudslinging shitshows at the drop of a hat. It's practically cliche.

Perhaps the right response is for as many voices of "authority" as possible to urge patience and calm instead of demanding an immediate convention of everyone who knows anything?

I won't go into the entire story of my experience, except to give the following bits of information.

Saturday night I was called and asked to be part of the recovery. It was the second such call I've received in the last month, and the third such call I've received in the last six months. I was at dinner with my wife, and let's just say she's not happy.

Sunday morning I was supposed to spend the entire day teaching an intro to cave class. My students had made an effort to come from out of town, and although we completed their course before I drove to Eagle's Nest, I feel awful that I shorted them on a full day of diving.

If you have never volunteered to be a part of a recovery team, you really have no idea of the time, effort, and emotional toll it takes. This is done as a service to the surviving families to help bring them closure and some comfort.

And those of you that are demanding answers now need to just STFU for a bit.

Thank you for your service Ken. I greatly appreciate your sacrifice and that of the other recovery divers.

Back
Top Bottom