Diving knife - Weapon or not??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey lets just take the word weapon out of our vocabulary and describe a knife.

Yes it is a tool that can be used to kill but so can many other items that most people would consider innocent items.
It a rock a weapon?
How about a phone book?

I could take out people at least 2 ways with a garden hose.
a plastic bag can kill people, fish or many other critters.
The point is not that the tool can kill but how it is used.

As I said just take the word weapon out of our vocabulary!
Then the question should be:
Do we have the right to carry a tool to protect ourselves and if we do what should the penalty be for abusing or misusing the tool?

If it has a point and a killing edge meant to slice flesh and viscerals it is a weapon.

N

Hey lets just take the word weapon out of our vocabulary and describe a knife.

Yes it is a tool that can be used to kill but so can many other items that most people would consider innocent items.
It a rock a weapon?
How about a phone book?

I could take out people at least 2 ways with a garden hose.
a plastic bag can kill people, fish or many other critters.
The point is not that the tool can kill but how it is used.

As I said just take the word weapon out of our vocabulary!
Then the question should be:
Do we have the right to carry a tool to protect ourselves and if we do what should the penalty be for abusing or misusing the tool?

I could not have said it better! geez, a ballpoint pen can be a weapon. So can a spork.

If it has a point and a killing edge meant to slice flesh and viscerals it is a weapon.

N

Hmm, Just what is the definition of a killing edge?
Would that be like a guitar string? I could easily slice flesh with one. I've even used them to remove a windshield from a car easily slicing through a thick rubber gasket and the ends are real pointy.
Come on Nemrod I know you are smarter than what you are letting on here.
Face facts there is no such thing as a true weapon just tools that are used as weaponry by people. Even splitting the atom has it's uses beyond killing. Scifi has already conceived of good uses for the bomb other than as weaponry.
Tools aren't evil some people are. We try and weed out evil people from the general population but we error on the side of caution so as not to harm good people.
The greater the destructive potential of a tool the more regulation there is in posession and use of a tool. Knifes are very simple and have limited destructive potential as so very little regulation exists for the posession and use of them. This is as it should be because they are also very useful tools and without them we'd still be in the stone age.

Would that be like a guitar string? I could easily slice flesh with one. I've even used them to remove a windshield from a car easily slicing through a thick rubber gasket and the ends are real pointy.
Face facts there is no such thing as a true weapon just tools that are used as weaponry by people. Even splitting the atom has it's uses beyond killing. Scifi has already conceived of good uses for the bomb other than as weaponry.
Tools aren't evil some people are. We try and weed out evil people from the general population but we error on the side of caution so as not to harm good people.
The greater the destructive potential of a tool the more regulation there is in posession and use of a tool. Knifes are very simple and have limited destructive potential as so very little regulation exists for the posession and use of them. This is as it should be because they are also very useful tools and without them we'd still be in the stone age.

Weapon. Tool. You are "splitting hairs" (which of course requires a very sharp knife, be it weapon or tool :D ).

And have you seen Nemrod's knives? Gave me a case of "knife envy" when he posted the pictures :D

My knives are sadly a bit smaller than Nem's, so I compensate for my inadequacy by carrying three, all with pointy "killing" tips (which is an accurate description of the function of that type of point on a knife blade) :D A throw-back to when I used to spearfish I guess.

Best wishes, and just kidding (except about the 3-knives I dive with :D)

"True weapon" ??

A edge meant for killing is one designed to splay flesh as it cuts and then has blood channels to allow bleeding without removing the blade and lightens the blade. Not a knifeologist, I am a geologist that knows if a knife is sticking in something that doesn't want it there, it is clearly a weapon. A knife as a weapon is not the same little blunt screwdriver people carry now. And, I don't think the purpose of the "WASP" can be mistaken as a pry bar.

Come on now, I know you are smarter than that. :eyebrow:

LeadTurn, if you got three I am swimming away, lol.

N

"True weapon" ??

A edge meant for killing is one designed to splay flesh as it cuts and then has blood channels to allow bleeding without removing the blade and lightens the blade. Not a knifeologist, I am a geologist that knows if a knife is sticking in something that doesn't want it there, it is clearly a weapon. A knife as a weapon is not the same little blunt screwdriver people carry now. And, I don't think the purpose of the "WASP" can be mistaken as a pry bar.

Come on now, I know you are smarter than that. :eyebrow:

LeadTurn, if you got three I am swimming away, lol.

N

Apparently you just don't understand that without the hand that holds it or the mind that controls it a knife is just another inanimate object no more deadly than a stone on the ground. This is true of any and all tools no matter what the design intent. I think the WASP is a piece of metal designed for personal protection. That doesn't mean it will ever be used for that purpose. Just as a gun is a high pressure hole punch unless it is needed for personal protection and used accordingly. I've made many holes in paper over the years and hope I'll never have to use any of my tools for personal protection but as the BoyScout motto goes "Be Prepared!"
Is a knife a weapon when it cuts a rope or is used to open a box or other container? The answer is no! It is simply a tool.
Is a gun a weapon when it is used to drive nails through studs into concrete or metal? Again no!
Disagree with the answer may I suggest you remove all these tools and any other that may be used defensively from your life try to live your life without these tools and the other product they are used to make.
I bet you can't last a week.

diving-knives are used to get out from being entangled, but can also be used to hunt. I cant think of many situations where u would have to use it for defence.

The only tip I got from my DM before my first shark dive was "if you see an agressive shark, stab your buddy."

Ill start buying my diving gear this year, and i intend to have a knife as part of my setup

weapon: something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
from Merriam-Webster
tool:
1 a: a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task b (1): the cutting or shaping part in a machine or machine tool (2): a machine for shaping metal : machine tool
2 a: something (as an instrument or apparatus) used in performing an operation or necessary in the practice of a vocation or profession <a scholar's books are his tools> b: an element of a computer program (as a graphics application) that activates and controls a particular function <a drawing tool> c: a means to an end <a book's cover can be a marketing tool> doften vulgar : penis
3: one that is used or manipulated by another
4plural : natural ability <has all the tools to be a great pitcher>

Back
Top Bottom