Diving Longhose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i want to make the leap to DIR, however I do not have a bp/w nor do I own a bc because I want my bp/w to be my first purchase in that area. However I fo have my regs and spg console. Have any of you tried going into DIR slowly? I mean like by first goin with longhose and bungee and brass spg. Then onto bp/w?

What do you think would be more feesible for me to do? or more logical. Also there is no one anywhere around to be a possible mentor.

Also would I look like a complete idiot on the boat?

Thanks

My gear progression took place over six months (first to last):

(1) 40" primary, bungeed secondary
(2) BP/W
(3) Can light
(4) Long hose
(5) Doubles

I really feel that donating the primary and having a bungeed secondary is safer than the more common approach (donate "octo"). The long hose just adds ease to air shares (I'm not diving in over-heads) and allows for swimming shares (rather difficult on the 40"). The BP/W I appreciate for minimalism and getting some weight over my lungs. The can light is both nice (can see a lot more in our dark waters) and adds a level of safety. Doubles are for practicing for future goals.

Edit: Do you really care what other people think of you and your gear on a boat? Life's too short.

Eh... my speed.. duno.. over a year. The change of hose and such on regs is an easy, cheap first step.. may as well get comfy with it, or should I say enjoy the comfy that comes with it :)

I went with the BP/W from my jacket style BC, and the rest has followed from there. It has been an expensive transition, as you will hear over and over again. I just bought a new set of regs for doubles. Ouch. Still need a canister light too!

I have to agree with Rainer - a 7' hose with a jacket BC would be awkward. Look at a 5' and bungee off the second and add an spg for starters. Just a suggestion.

I started out completely REC OW. My first change was to a 7' host and bungee for my backup. EASY! I have a TUSA Passage wt. integrated jacket BC. The hose tucked easily in my cumberbund no problems at all with deployment either. I have now switched to a BP/W and since I do not have a can light yet, again I tuck the hose in my waist. If you are going to get gear...then get the BP/W now, and save yourself time, money, and grief. Keep it simple, that is the DIR route. Also get yourself the book DIR Doing it Right by Jarrod Jablonski. This will help you understand the purpose and proper set up. I have found DIR after dive 5 but wish that I had understood it way before I signed up for my first OW course and gear purchases. So please PM me if you want any other information or do some reading through the DIR forums. This is the set up I currently have.
http://www.salvosupply.com/inc/sdetail/205

My next purchases will be another 2nd stage and can light. Then my migration will go to doubles by the end of the year. It really all depends on the type of diving and where that will dictate where you want to take your gear!

GOOD LUCK!
Carolyn :sharks:

ps. I agree with the safety aspects of the long hose and bungee. It allows space between u and the receipient, it allows you to assess issues and correct if possible, and it keeps YOUR backup close where you can get to it with your teeth if necessary in an emergency. :)

im not going dir, im not im not im not

but ive just purchased my bpw, eyeing off some new fins, got my rubber necklace all ready and sourcing out the long hose for when im ready to make that jump :wink:

slow and steady for me

almitywife:
im not going dir, im not im not im not

but ive just purchased my bpw, eyeing off some new fins, got my rubber necklace all ready and sourcing out the long hose for when im ready to make that jump :wink:

slow and steady for me

I'll send you some packs of Kool-Aide in exchange for some Tim-Tams :wink:

When it comes to looking like the ODDBALL on the boat, well yeah you will get looks. Actually after my dive trip to the Bahamas with my LDS, they all looked at me like I was crazy. However, just make sure you let your buddy know how you will be deploying your hose in case of a OOA situation. I love my gear and wouldn't trade it for the top of the line JACKET BC even rear inflation. Make the gear work for you and your diving and dive with people who have the same like thinking. DIR is more than the gear, it is all about SAFETY and TEAM! Your BUDDY is your backup and BUDDY AWARENESS is also a huge factor for this type of diving! I am lucky to have found a mentor who has guided me in my skill training and also in my gear choices and set ups.

ps. I hope to be in St Lucia next November for a BDAY dive vacation!

Carolyn:sharks:

"DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK SIDE....THEY HAVE COOKIES!"

My first set of gear, purchased when I finished OW, was a standard Hog set-up, with 7' hose. Other than a couple of clueless comments from a AOW instructor, no problems at all. On our recent liveaboard trip to Saba and St. Kitt's, 5 or 6 of the 12 divers aboard were wearing similar gear. No comments from the crew that I heard about.

Back
Top Bottom