DIY Canisters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very impressive work! I will be in the market after the holidays for a light for next season's north east wreck diving. Will need something that can penetrate murkey waters (and is offerend in a wide array of colors) :)
Question - how much with the 27W be?

Very impressive work! I will be in the market after the holidays for a light for next season's north east wreck diving. Will need something that can penetrate murkey waters (and is offerend in a wide array of colors) :)
Question - how much with the 27W be?

The 27W will be about $800. Once I finish it up I'll sit down and figure it all out, but I think I'm close.
Thanks

I'm interested in a 21W version. I'll check back periodically. American ingenuity at its best!

Right now I am trying to get the appropriate reflector for the higher power LED. The reflector I am using although bright is pretty floody and mostly suitable for video. Will keep you updated
Thanks

OK, so I have been quietly working in the background. I had an order for three lights and one for one so I have been working on those 4. I just finished those and am ready to move on to some more. Have 3 more to do right now.
So far, everything is turning out pretty good, I have had a few issues, but have been able to resolve them.
The most recent development is the use of a Cree MCE LED with a spot reflector from Fraen. I like this LED better than the P7... It is not the brightness, as they produce similar light, that I like but rather the driving mechanism. This LED taked about 13.6 volts at 700ma. I have found a fully potted, lid-mountable driver for this LED which translates into even brightness over the life of the battery. The P7 will dim slowly as the batteries decrease in voltage. The Cree, being a smaller LED will also have a better hot spot... Again, not super better, but better. Now, the down side is that the price for the Cree (more expensive LED), an additional 2 batteries and the driver and labor to get all the stuff incorporated will increase the price of the light to $550. This is still a great deal compared to others out there, but it is a price increase nonetheless.

BTW, I will still continue to build and support the P7 lights for $450.

On the 27W LED front, I have met with a rep from Osram and we are looking at options for that light.

The video system with the SST-90 is being developed and a machinist friend of mine is helping me design a suitable battery box for LiPo batteries that will power 2 SST-90 at arouns 1000 lumens each with flood reflectors. This will be a custom system to mount lights on an Ocean Sytem housing. This is turning out quite nicely.

Anyway, that's it for now.... Oh, out of this currently bing produced set of lights, I am keeping one behind to have it done in CAD in hopes to have these CNC produced some day.

Another update:
Looks like I'll be drinking the HID Kool-Aid.. Got 2 10W HID bulbs/ballasts coming in for prototyping. Waiting on pricing and availability for 24W and 35W HIDs...

Great work! Looks like I may be able to afford a canister light afterall. I'll get in touch after the holidays. Thanks.

~Tim

Another Update:
Just talked to the local anodizer and it looks like the next set of 8 heads will be anodized. I have to get the details on whether I can select color for each head, but as of now, it's a go... This will add $15 to each light ($465).

how much for the 10w HIDs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom