DIY Goodman handle for an light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the dive has unfolded such that one diver is OOG and needs a donated air source then they have much more important issues to worry about than getting flashed in the eyes.

-Z
Why make a bad situation potentially much worse, for no good reason?

Why make a bad situation potentially much worse, for no good reason?

How about dive in such a way to avoid the initial problem to begin with and if it occurs manage the crisis with the intent of saving/maintaining life.

If a diver signals out of air and does not take their partners alternate air source then the non-ooa diver should be in hyper-aware mode in short order and realize that the ooa diver is not taking the 2nd stage, the non-ooa diver should then actively donate it to the point of sticking it in their partners mouth if need be. The non-ooa diver should take positive control of their partner until they are sure things are copacetic and their partner is breathing and calming down relative to the situation.

If you think having your torch on a particular hand will help in how an aid/rescue situation unfolds then set your gear up that way, but I don't think it matters when preservation of life/ensuring the OOA diver has gas to breath is the ultimate priority.

-Z

I've provided one reason to not routinely keep the light on the right hand. There are others. Do you have any reason for it to be there which is more pressing?

I've provided one reason to not routinely keep the light on the right hand. There are others. Do you have any reason for it to be there which is more pressing?

You provided a reason...whether it is a "good" reason is debatable.

One should be able to adapt to nearly any equipment configuration.

I routinely wear/hold my torch in my right hand. My computer is on my right forearm, my compass in a bungee mount on the back of my left hand. Left hand controls buoyancy via inflator and wing opv/dump valve, and dry suit dump valve - all 3 of which are on left side. torch on right allows me to recharge the glow-in-dark feature of my compass, dive computer has its own backup light that I can push the button for without unnecessarily moving my torch beam and confusing my partner thinking I am signaling.

If one is diving with an SPG as opposed to a wireless AI computer then reaching down left for the SPG will also affect where the torch beam is trained should the torch be carried/worn on the left hand.

So there, a whole bunch of reasons to have it on/in the right hand...but note I am not saying they are "good" reasons, they are just reasons to consider.

In my diving paradigm, I don't expect to be caught off guard by a partner with an out of air situation unless they have an equipment failure like a blown LP hose or failure at the 1st stage/tank valve connection. Should an OOA scenario present itself, whether my partner is flashed in the eyes by my torch is not even on my list of considerations as there are a whole host of other things I should be concerned about.

Set up your gear however you desire as I am not saying torch on left is wrong...just not saying it is correct either. I have reasons for my setup and feel it works well for the diving I do.

-Z

A forum member from my country came through and offered me a 3D printed universal handle, and it fits like a glove.

Nicely balanced and comfortable. And no problem with switching hands now or using it on what ever hand I want.

Fits good with both 5mm winter and 2mm summer gloves.

IMG_20200623_140608.jpg
IMG_20200623_140613.jpg
IMG_20200623_140702.jpg

How about dive in such a way to avoid the initial problem to begin with
-Z

That's kind of a ridiculous statement. You do realize that sometimes sh--happens. You can dive safely and with properly maintained gear but have a failure that is uncontrollable.
I do agree with the sentiment that at that point you're going into life saving mode and need to do whatever you need to do. But there is a reason that light on left when donating is preferred. Inadvertantly blinding someone usually isn't that big of a deal, but it can also be that one last little thing that makes a bad situation worse. I'm not going to lie, 90% of the time I dive my lights in my right hand. I know and accept the risk as does my dive buddy. But to completely blow it off and say dive to avoid problems to begin with is very nearsighted.

And to be clear, I've been in a situation in a cave where someone not being conscious enough to not blind their buddy made a very simple situation spiral out of control. All was good in the end, but it almost wasn't.

That's kind of a ridiculous statement. You do realize that sometimes sh--happens. You can dive safely and with properly maintained gear but have a failure that is uncontrollable.
I do agree with the sentiment that at that point you're going into life saving mode and need to do whatever you need to do. But there is a reason that light on left when donating is preferred. Inadvertantly blinding someone usually isn't that big of a deal, but it can also be that one last little thing that makes a bad situation worse. I'm not going to lie, 90% of the time I dive my lights in my right hand. I know and accept the risk as does my dive buddy. But to completely blow it off and say dive to avoid problems to begin with is very nearsighted.

And to be clear, I've been in a situation in a cave where someone not being conscious enough to not blind their buddy made a very simple situation spiral out of control. All was good in the end, but it almost wasn't.

You're late to the party. I have already made my case in post #24. You can dive however you want with whatever gear configuration and mentality you want. If you think I am being shortsighted , then color me myopic. And btw, your example does not support your case very well....if something like being flashed in the eyes makes a simple situation spiral out of control then I question whether you and the folks belong diving in caves, but I suspect you will disagree with that too.

Cheers to you and how you dive.

-Z

You're late to the party. I have already made my case in post #24. You can dive however you want with whatever gear configuration and mentality you want. If you think I am being shortsighted , then color me myopic. And btw, your example does not support your case very well....if something like being flashed in the eyes makes a simple situation spiral out of control then I question whether you and the folks belong diving in caves, but I suspect you will disagree with that too.

Cheers to you and how you dive.

-Z

i wont waste my time explaining my own personal example as to how blinding someone can make a potentially bad situation worse as it obviously will fall on deaf ears. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Mines based on actual experience which has absolutely nothing to do with whether I’m not a competent cave diver. I’ll let my buddies and instructors make that decision. I havent had any complaints as of yet.

A forum member from my country came through and offered me a 3D printed universal handle, and it fits like a glove.

Nicely balanced and comfortable. And no problem with switching hands now or using it on what ever hand I want.

Fits good with both 5mm winter and 2mm summer gloves.

Nice! I like it! I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my torch.... Question though, how are you securing the light while on the hand? Are you clipping it off to a wrist lanyard or something? With canister lights, losing the light and handle are not an issue since it's attached by the cord, but with a "hand torch", I could see it possibly slipping off the hand and into the abyss.

Thoughts?

I was thinking a wrist lanyard, but I might find one of those wrist bands. When wearing gloves it's not a problem, since it fts snugly. But fir bare hand carry I would definitely need to think of something

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom