DIY Goodman handle for an light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice! I like it! I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my torch.... Question though, how are you securing the light while on the hand? Are you clipping it off to a wrist lanyard or something? With canister lights, losing the light and handle are not an issue since it's attached by the cord, but with a "hand torch", I could see it possibly slipping off the hand and into the abyss.

Thoughts?

I use the same 3D printed model, really like it. I have a compass bungeed behind the light that I clip to in case of failure. I really need to change out the screws for butterfly nuts (so I can adjust on the fly), but it's very comfortable. I've used it on the last 12 dives or so, no issues. It almost might as well not be there.

ntF2xHU.jpg

zrWwF9X.jpg

I swapped my screws for allen bolts and butterfly nuts. I just keep the nuts on the inside, and I always have an allen key in my car. And I usually am near my car when I

The compass thing might be a good idea. I'll.give it a try

Nice! I like the notch in the crosspiece for the U-shaped part of the handle, super clean design. I am using a similar torch, and simply clip the snap off to a small wrist bungee (same one I clip my tickler or anything else to). But it is another step in switching hands...

Would anyone be willing to share the 3d file for the print job? I really like the design. (I could CAD one up too, but hey, if it's already there....:D)

Ah that looks like the one, Thanks! Question for everyone involved in this thread, I noticed that some have a "wider" or protruding portion (usually away from the light-head) of the torch, any thoughts on that? Wider or protruding area helps distribute the weight + gives more control? A little wider is good, but not too wide? Or less is better?

I swapped my screws for allen bolts and butterfly nuts. I just keep the nuts on the inside, and I always have an allen key in my car. And I usually am near my car when I

The compass thing might be a good idea. I'll.give it a try
I'd like to be able to adjust underwater, although it's not really needed, it would be nice. I have a small right angle screwdriver / allen key that I keep in my kit.

Nice! I like the notch in the crosspiece for the U-shaped part of the handle, super clean design. I am using a similar torch, and simply clip the snap off to a small wrist bungee (same one I clip my tickler or anything else to). But it is another step in switching hands...

Would anyone be willing to share the 3d file for the print job? I really like the design. (I could CAD one up too, but hey, if it's already there....:D)

I have yet to find a reason to switch hands. I'm sure there are some, but tbh it's so comfortable on the back there's nothing I can't do with it on. If I absolutely had to I could slip it off and just let go, the bungee would (should I hope, lol) catch it and it would just dangle until I got situated. Maybe there are some reasons to switch?

This is the model I used. I believe it says in the description the settings I used, I would go a little more as mine has some small hairline fractures near the screws, but I've beat the hell out of it to an extent, and I probably didn't need to screw it down as tight as I did. My next print will be a little beefier.
Goodman handle by nagilum
(this was not my design and I take zero credit for it, I'm just grateful someone did)

Ah that looks like the one, Thanks! Question for everyone involved in this thread, I noticed that some have a "wider" or protruding portion (usually away from the light-head) of the torch, any thoughts on that? Wider or protruding area helps distribute the weight + gives more control? A little wider is good, but not too wide? Or less is better?

I guess it's for a more even distribution on the back of the hand? Mine puts my flashlight directly over the top of the middle of the back of my hand. It's pretty comfortable, and was super cheap to make. As you can see in the pic, it does not protrude but a little bit past my knuckles this way.

I have yet to find a reason to switch hands. I'm sure there are some, but tbh it's so comfortable on the back there's nothing I can't do with it on. If I absolutely had to I could slip it off and just let go, the bungee would (should I hope, lol) catch it and it would just dangle until I got situated. Maybe there are some reasons to switch?
That's essentially what I do with my handheld torch, and pretty much agree with your assessment as well. It is just my understanding that one of the benefits to the goodman handle, besides being able to use the hand w/ light, is the easy of switching it to the other hand if need. (not sure what the need is either, but I suppose it could be anything?)

I guess it's for a more even distribution on the back of the hand? Mine puts my flashlight directly over the top of the middle of the back of my hand. It's pretty comfortable, and was super cheap to make. As you can see in the pic, it does not protrude but a little bit past my knuckles this way.
Yeah, it looks super balanced there, I really like that. I didn't quote the part about the crack, but you're referring to the slotted area on the U-shaped portion?

Yeah, it looks super balanced there, I really like that. I didn't quote the part about the crack, but you're referring to the slotted area on the U-shaped portion?

This is the best picture I have, I think we're talking about the same thing?
gFBBahC.jpg

Yup! same thing, that protrusion towards the rear, away from the knuckles. Since the weight of the battery is back there, I assume that's to prevent the handle from wanting to tip back too much. :thumb:

I'd like to be able to adjust underwater, although it's not really needed, it would be nice. I have a small right angle screwdriver / allen key that I keep in my kit.

This is what I've done
IMG_20200624_185405.jpg
IMG_20200624_185401.jpg

And I can unscrew them from the inside. and adjust them in a pinch.

I wanted to put these kinds of screws on the outside, but they didn't have ones in Inox, and left it like this.
IMG_20200624_185618.jpg

I think these would work better than butterfly screws. Less entanglement.

Back
Top Bottom