DIY S600 "seat saver" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzMikeM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So the S600 doesn't have a seat saver like many other Scubapro regs (G260 etc)

Any reason I shouldn't do this with my S600?

Attachments

• 16505905482364179099127224339713.jpg
    16505905482364179099127224339713.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 54
Good idea! I was looking at a silicone rubber band and a piece of cork or rubber stopper but this looks just fine.

What would happen if one doesn’t do this…
asking for a friend

What would happen if one doesn’t do this…
asking for a friend
When not in use spring pressure is holding the demand valve closed (seat pressed against orifice). Over time it takes a "set", or permanent indent. S "seat saver" is a means of keeping the purge pressed, manually opening the valve (seat raised off the orifice) to extend the life of the seat.

Respectfully,

James

question: with this, can you deform the purge cover and diaphragm more quickly?
In theory, yes... But modern materials are more resistant to taking a set. It's a trade off of possibilities. Old 109s had a rubber (not silicone) purge cover, and seat savers left in for years would deform them. Modern regs, not so much of a problem.

It may be more than you need but should do the trick and you get to eat ice cream in the manufacturing!

Great idea! Could you also use a piece of aluminum sheet bent to provide the exact depression desired?

I often wondered if springs kept in a more compressed state would potentially fatigue earlier from these kind of seat saving solutions? But since spring fatigue seems rare even in old regs, perhaps the range used is not critical, and same should go for seat savers?

Personally, all I want from a seat is two years of lifetime. So my main question is if we are getting this without seat saver (and I'l assume with seat saver the seat can be stored indefinetely)?

I believe that this is too much, a rubber band with a "cork" for slight push on the purge button will be sufficient as pointed out above.

Personally, all I want from a seat is two years of lifetime. So my main question is if we are getting this without seat saver (and I'l assume with seat saver the seat can be stored indefinetely)?

For 2 - 4 years servicing and replacement of the seat, no need. I have many Scubapro regulators for my use and in my dive center's training/rental fleet and it has never been an issue. If you exceed a 3 - 4 year period between servicing, you will increase the chances of having issues but not always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom