DIY S600 "seat saver" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, thanks for the clarification! Yes, the springs... Good to know they won't fatigue.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "seat saving purge"? I thought only Atomics had this kind of "tech".
Push in purge button and turn it to the left, it takes pressure off seat. A push back turn to the right and it will re engage.

Merry Xmas, you're welcome 🎉🙏🏻

IMG_3373.png

Oh, thanks for the clarification! Yes, the springs... Good to know they won't fatigue.
Springs GET fatigued!
And eventually break...
Depending on the number of compression- relaxation cycles.
Springs in regulators are made of inox steel, which is quite prone to fatigue...

Which will be of no consequence to anyone anywhere ever

Springs GET fatigued!
And eventually break...
Depending on the number of compression- relaxation cycles.
Springs in regulators are made of inox steel, which is quite prone to fatigue...
Understanding that moving parts of any apparatus (including springs) get fatigued, wouldn't the spring get a lot less fatigued by having it depressed (typically only once when setting the "seat saver") than the seat itself that is constantly being pushed on?

Which will be of no consequence to anyone anywhere ever
Well, one of my 45+ years old SP 109 had a spring failure 3 years ago (that is, after 42 years of intense usage)...
Fatigue takes a huge number of alternated compressions-relaxations for building up.
But for intensely used equipment (say, in diving centers), probably this can happen in 10-15 years of daily usage.

I guess that proves my point. If your spring failed after 45 or so years, depressing the spring for seat saving purposes would be justified to save the seat.

Indeed, I have heard of metal fatigue, but what I meant is that the conclusion to my question earlier seems to be that the springs in our regs are not really harmed by storing them with the purge depressed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom