Do get a co analyzer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if any dive ops in Coz check their own tanks for CO regularly? I have seen the ones I use check the Nitrox tanks always, but can't recall seeing them check CO.

I would think, as an OP owner, I sure as heck would do it.....

I know at least one op has a CO tester on the boat and offers it for the customer's use.

I know at least one op has a CO tester on the boat and offers it for the customer's use.
I know of at least a couple liveaboards that have inline CO meters on their boats compressor systems.

And to whomever thinks the dive ops in Coz don't care about CO, it was one of the Coz dive ops that posts regularly in this forum that got the pumping station to add CO meters inline.

I will say it appears most of the accidents related to CO come from liveaboards.

My trip to Cozumel cost me close to $3000 (high season). The $500 for O2 and CO analyzers was insignificant by comparison.

Last I checked, the Analox Ell CO monitor was going for about $360, in case anyone is interested. :coffee:

Maybe not, but a few would be dying from it wouldn't they?

And they do! When my friend died at CoCo View several years ago, so did the dive master on that dive! In fact, he began to convulse and went unconscious before Randy did!

What if any dive ops in Coz check their own tanks for CO regularly? I have seen the ones I use check the Nitrox tanks always, but can't recall seeing them check CO.

I would think, as an OP owner, I sure as heck would do it.....

From conversations I have had with Dave Dillehay of Alddora Divers, he indicated that they were ordering one for the shop that customers would be welcome to use if they so desired. I would assume they have it by now.

And to whomever thinks the dive ops in Coz don't care about CO, it was one of the Coz dive ops that posts regularly in this forum that got the pumping station to add CO meters inline.

Oh go ahead and say it! Give credit where credit is due!....
It was Dave Dillehay of Aldora! :D
This all started a couple of years ago after DandyDon and I had gotten some really bad tanks from a DO on Coz! (Not Aldora, I might mention!) Some testing as high as 17 ppm! I had the opportunity to sit down at Wet Wendy's and have a margarita with Dave right after that and discuss our concerns. After convencing him that our testing techniques had not been flawed and were accurate he became very interested and began looking into it. A series of emails then went back and forth between me, him and DandyDon regarding this and the rest, as they say, is history.

I have an enormous amount of respect for Dave because of the effort he put forth and what he was able to accomplish! And I have just as much respect for Don for the efforts he has put forth to promote knowlege about the problem of CO poisoning over the years! If you go to Don's profile you will find comments and two links to CO related info in his signature section. He has been a tireless crusader for the cause for a LONG time!

Last edited:

Uhhh?? Aldora?? :wink:

Why is the dive community accepting being poisoned?

I don't think the dive community at large is knowingly accepting that they're being poisoned, they're just unaware it's happening.

Before the CO problem can be addressed, it first has to be acknowledged, and we're currently in the "denial" stage with a few informed divers trying to increase that awareness.

Uhhh?? Aldora?? :wink:

This is not a criticisim as I am aware of how involved Dave was in getting the inline monitors, but I did not see a CO analyzer on any of the Aldora boats I was on a month ago (they did all have 02 analyzers). I did use mine however (Analox EIICO) and did not get any readings > 2 or 3 ppm. They may have them but if they do they are not obviously available, or they may have one at the shop that I did not see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom