Do get a co analyzer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to add: how can ANYONE say it isn't/doesn't happen when no one and no agency or dive op tests every tank they get......it could happen far more often and the divers/DM's may never even know if it is low level CO and not enough to seriously injure or kill anyone. Then again.....how many mysterious deaths happen in Coz that are not 100% explained/investigated/solved? Is there a policy to test EVERY tank involved in a serious dive accident or death? I highly doubt it..... (hope they do)

The only way to 1) know 2) make sure is for more Ops and people to test more tanks. Show me that no one gets high readings and I will then believe it never happens. Until then, I will assume it COULD happen and is in the realm of possibility.

IT IS MEXICO YOU KNOW.

In the US, yeah, I would seriously doubt it would ever happen. But outside the US......possible for sure.

And to whomever thinks the dive ops in Coz don't care about CO, it was one of the Coz dive ops that posts regularly in this forum that got the pumping station to add CO meters inline.

Let's clarify before this grows into me getting accuses of saying dive masters are motor boating boobies again.

It was about dive operators caring about checking each individual tank for CO with a portable CO device, not CO in general... follow along please --

What if any dive ops in Coz check their own tanks for CO regularly?

Dive operators in Cozumel and the world over don't check for CO [in individual tanks] because they see no reason to. If you own a dive business and have been running it for lets say 10 years and never had a CO poisoning issue, if there is no corroboration or consensus through your peers in the dive industry that CO poisoning is a problem, if no official agencies are saying CO poisoning isn't a problem being reported to them, why would you do anything different then you've done for all the years you've been in operation? I think if you were a fly on the wall at a private dive shop owner get together over a few beers that they'd pretty much be looking at all this recent interest by a few divers at individual tank testing of CO as a joke, just a passing faze with no grounds to give it any real attention, other than for the benefits of marketing but certainly not for safety.

Dive shops might not be saying anything publicly one way or the other, but their inactions certainly speak volumes to what their private feelings are on the subject. I don't think we should paint their inaction as uncaring [note the word 'uncaring'] to an important issue, but as their perception of ambivalence to something they don't feel is really a problem that deserves all this attention.

Again the issue was about checking individual tanks not not caring about CO in general. Obviously some of them care about CO since they worked to get detectors installed at the filling station. It appears that the vast majority feel that with the filling station monitoring now, there is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for you time.
costumed-smiley-007.gif

​

IT IS MEXICO YOU KNOW.

In the US, yeah, I would seriously doubt it would ever happen. But outside the US......possible for sure.

Why could it not happen in the US. I test every tank before every dive, even tanks from my trusted LDS (and our CO standards are more strict than in the US). There are circumstances that may make it more likely in one place than another, but it cannot be ruled out completely anywhere, unless you test the tank.

The only way to 1) know 2) make sure is for more Ops and people to test more tanks. Show me that no one gets high readings and I will then believe it never happens. Until then, I will assume it COULD happen and is in the realm of possibility.

You really touch on a great point right there. With enough divers testing on their own, there will reach a point eventually where one way or another the word will get out whether there really is problem or not.

IT IS MEXICO YOU KNOW.

oh boy, you can get in trouble for saying that

They are not on the boats, we check the tanks as they come to us with a hand held Analox. Now we fill our own tanks and have dual redundant, auto shut off Analox CO analyzers on both Bauer Compressors. That is new since last week.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I don't think we should paint their inaction as uncaring to an important issue, but as their perception of ambivalence to something they don't feel is really a problem that deserves all this attention.

Maybe I just read the last line since that is the one I was addressing. As already mentioned Aldora jumped into action, because Dave knew of the potential for a problem and didn't want to see a customer on Cozumel be injured from something that is preventable. Modern technology allows these tests to be performed for reasonable costs today. I would bet the other dive ops are happy to hear CO meters are being installed, and may well have helped in the push to have them installed.

If I knew my air was tested by a reliable CO meter at the pump, I wouldn't worry about testing each individual tank.

You really touch on a great point right there. With enough divers testing on their own, there will reach a point eventually where one way or another the word will get out whether there really is problem or not.

And when divers start testing their own air, it sends a message to the dive ops that consumers are becoming CO savvy and expect their tanks to be free of CO. I have no doubt the industry on the island will respond and raise standards of air quality accordingly to meet customer's expectations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom