Do get a co analyzer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely not. CO is an unforgiveable contaminant, and a super exceedingly rare occurrence. Don't cite the numbers you heard until you can cite the number of dives conducted per year without incident and can cite reliable sources to prove the "I heard"s. There are thousands and thousands of dives every day. It would take lot of CO poisoning to make it a significant risk.

Cozumel is not a great place. You get what you pay for. Mexico is poster boy for corruption in government. An estimated 12,000 killed in drug wars in 2011. The next thing is to arm yourselves because a drug lord kidnapping/shootout is more likely than another CO incident.

Dive with operators you trust. It is their responsibility to provide clean filtered air. If you personally check for CO what else do you check for, and where does it stop? Are you going to check for oil? How about Helium? How about CO2? This is a wet-dream thread for Analox. There could be Cesium from Fukushima! The idea that you should carry a $700 CO tester or even worse that people routinely equip themselves with one relieves the supplier from responsibility for making sure it's not there in the first place. Its absurd.

Weird accidents happen. You don't arm yourself against them because they are outliers. A certain dive operator once delivered a tank full of rust to a diver. Not only was it full of rust, but the valve had no dip tube so the rust went right in a stuffed up the first stage. As I recall this happened at about 100 feet and the victim lived. It was of course, in Cozumel. The operator took all the heat, but it was a divers fault. Some idiot drained the tank, didn't tell anyone and let his 2nd stage get in the water. Oh wait it was the VIP'ers fault: he didn't secure the DIP tube. Oh wait it was the outboard motors that vibrated all the rust loose and caused the dip tube to fall out. No wait. It was the victims fault for not aborting the dive when he heard something metallic clanging around in his tank. It has never happened again SFAIK, and I don't feel compelled to inspect every tank before filling to see if there is rust and a dip tube. Zaphod Beeblebrox will hand me a pan-galactic-gargleblaster before it happens again.

If it was CO the most likely source was incorrect oil and/or a compressor that was too hot. Yes, operators should have CO monitors. Cozumel will get right on that as soon as they get their sewage underground.

The rest of the operators in Coz will be making sure their intakes are in clear air and that their lubricants are appropriate and their compressors in good order, lest they join the ranks of "secret drug war informants" leaked in the papers.

CO can be catalyzed, intakes can be protected and (sorry drive-thru critic) they are often far away from the compressor itself.

CO is absolutely preventable. It doesn't just happen. Once set up and tested to be safe it will stay that way. Some crazy accident is required change that or else a stupid human error.

Oxygen content is a completely different matter and O2 testers are widely available. Oxygen is a required contaminant and its measurement is exactly opposite. We measure to verify sufficent contamination, not to verify minimization. FO2 testing is not (as someone intimated) a justification for CO testing.

Last I knew there were only about 75 dive licenses in Cozumel. They were one of the most desirable and prized franchises on the island. If it is CO and Palancar did the filling, then they should lose the franchise. The slot should then be auctioned to the next owner, and part of the proceeds used to subsidize CO monitors on all fill stations, and cheap air purity testing. Mexico is just too short of reasons for tourism to screw around with killing this goose. Demolishing the Palancar operation will be signal enough to even the worst operators that they need to play ball or lose a dynastic fortune.

Absolutely not. CO is an unforgiveable contaminant, and a super exceedingly rare occurrence. Don't cite the numbers you heard until you can cite the number of dives conducted per year without incident and can cite reliable sources to prove the "I heard"s. There are thousands and thousands of dives every day. It would take lot of CO poisoning to make it a significant risk.
I take it you don't have any first hand experience to base this statement on? Well I do! Out of 17 people on a live aboard 14 got sick while diving. That was here in the USA. It does happen, and it can happen to you. It is preventable, by the air supplier using CO meters and they should. I recommend asking them as even if they don't monitor for CO, it starts getting the word out that divers are paying attention. The boat we were on rebuilt their compressor, and added CO alarms. Someone could have died and fortunately no one did. People were throwing up though and luckily they were able to make it to the surface. Headaches were had by almost everyone. My dive buddy and I were doing 70' dives on 32% running tables. He came up with a nasty headache. I was lucky in that I had filled my doubles way up and only got about 1/3 fill from their air. Succumbing to CO poisoning at 70' would be all about your buddy saving your butt, and even that wouldn't leave high hopes for survival, as they would now be breathing the same CO heavily as they worked hard to save their buddy.

Not sure which brand of meter is $700+, but CO meters can be had for much less. Nuvair, Analox, along with others offer reasonably priced units.

This could be why I was so nauseated this past weekend doing my open water certification. I did my lessons here in Ohio and had a business trip to Jamaica so I did my certification there. After the first dive I became a little nauseated and blamed it on the boat being small and the ocean a little rough. Later in the day I felt fine but the same thing happened on day two for dives 3 and 4. I even mention the nausea to the instructor and he blamed it on inner ear problem, small boat and rough water. Could this have been CO in the air tanks? If so, a analyzer may be a good investment!

A diver buying contaminated air any where is bull **** and you should not have to test your air for CO any more than you have to test your food for arsenic.

If you folks really believe this is an issue, we should petition our worthless dive agencies demanding proper self regulation or threatening govt oversite.

If it is not really a problem and some are just suffering from OCD, that is another issue.

Hi,

We will be going to Cozumel in March and the dive shop we use gets their tanks filled from Lyn Mar on the island. I understand that Lyn Mar analyzes their fills for carbon monoxide. In light of the recent accident from on the island with co poisoning. I am wondering if I should by my on portable analyzer. Just wanted know your opinions.

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks, for all of your input! I really appreciate it. I will be purchasing a CO2 and CO monitor. I am a part dive instructor and I dive all over the world. I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A diver buying contaminated air any where is bull **** and you should not have to test your air for CO any more than you have to test your food for arsenic.

I agree. You should not have to test your air; but the reality is that it is necessary.

If you folks really believe this is an issue, we should petition our worthless dive agencies demanding proper self regulation or threatening govt oversite.

Until this gets accomplished, I'll be using my CO tester....

This could be why I was so nauseated this past weekend doing my open water certification. I did my lessons here in Ohio and had a business trip to Jamaica so I did my certification there. After the first dive I became a little nauseated and blamed it on the boat being small and the ocean a little rough. Later in the day I felt fine but the same thing happened on day two for dives 3 and 4. I even mention the nausea to the instructor and he blamed it on inner ear problem, small boat and rough water. Could this have been CO in the air tanks?
Nausea is indeed one of the SYMPTOMS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING, but yours was much more likely to have been caused by the motion of the boat or, as your instructor suggested, an ear problem associated with incomplete equalization.

vladimir I would agree to a point with your answer. However, I am a boater and never get sea sick, I am also a pilot and had no ear problems flying down there or on the days after my dives and also I could "taste" the air and it tasted stale. I am trying to use this experience as a lesson in case I did experience carbon monoxide in my air so that it will not happen again. Thanks.

The question of needing and/or having a CO tester has been hashed out on this forum before. Please allow me to surmise:

You should not need to test for CO, it's the filler's responsibiity/It's each diver's responsibility to make sure they're safe

CO poisoning is exceedingly rare/CO poisioning is more common than believed, and under-reported

CO testers are expensive/CO testers are worth the money

Does that about cover it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom