Do I need DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have DAN but not sure if I need to renew or add more...? Basic coverage just flies you out of wherever you are, right? If I'm in a tourist area like Cozumel, seems like I could fly myself out. The additional insurance stuff seems unnecessary if my primary insurance covers me.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

You must have excellent primary insurance, mine would cover almost none of what DAN does especially outside the U.S. If anything it would be reimburse basis.

Another benefit is DAN finding you a chamber that will accept you, and helping convince uninformed medical staff of what treatment you actually need. Cozumel is a bad example as there is ready access to diver-dedicated chambers, but in many places you're begging chamber time from facilities that do 9-5 wound treatment then go home.

All insurance is unnecessary if you never have to use it. But when you need to use the insurance, it is important to have insurance that will actually take care of you. From the reports I read on SB, DAN will be there to take care of you, and is a very inexpensive way to have peace of mind in a diver's environment. Unfortunately, most people never read their "primary" insurance policies from the standpoint of the insurance carriers' lawyers, and do not understand what is really covered and what is not. Unfortunate surprises are not uncommon when people have to make a claim, but I do not recall anyone criticizing DAN's performance in diving accidents. I am not a DAN spokesperson, and have no vested interest in DAN, but do have their top tier dive insurance on all family members who dive.

When I was in the travel industry I noticed those who didn't buy the travel insurance needed it, and those who did buy it tended not use it. I've seen the same when it comes to dive incidents. When it came to those who had it and needed it did not regret it. Rarely have I heard one say they regretted getting it when they didn't need it.

I couldn't imagine not getting it. When we go, there is me and two sons. The way U.S. insurance is going, I would never trust it to cover anything outside the border. It's a small fee too. Seems like a no brainer.

Read the fine print in your insurance policy and see if it has an exclusion for accidents sustained while scuba diving, or diving beyond a specific depth. Many do. Second, if you can fly out on a charter air craft great, but if you need an air ambulance, that is whole other kettle of fish. Very, very expensive. I know of people who were bankrupted because they didn't appreciate this and failed to get the proper out-of-country insurance.

I am new to diving, but have had DAN since my first dives after cert. I really like the fact DAN is always available to answer questions and lend professional unbiased support/advice regardless of your coverage. I respect that and it made me want to help support them through my policy I hope I never need.

Since all my diving is done (or will be done) 50 miles from home, DAN will cover it. My regular health insurance has no exclusions for scuba diving. I specifically asked when the rep was my office last fall. He was surprised by the question, but I had an answer within about 48 hours. Dan's guardian level (I think) plan and my annual membership was only something like $160. Given how catastrophically wrong diving accidents can go, I'm not going to complain about the cost. At this time i'm only diving within the US, but DAN's expertise and advocacy seem like to no-brainer to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom