Do NOT rent regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just curious - has anyone ever caught anything from a mouthpiece??

I would like the author of this thread to give thought to one possibility, and that is the possibility of legal action against the dive shop if a diver who rented a regulator from that shop were to die as a result of lack of, or sub-standard maintenance of rental gear.

Do you really think a dive shop wants to open itself up to this type of litigation?

the K

I would like the author of this thread to give thought to one possibility, and that is the possibility of legal action against the dive shop if a diver who rented a regulator from that shop were to die as a result of lack of, or sub-standard maintenance of rental gear.

Do you really think a dive shop wants to open itself up to this type of litigation?

the K
A dive shop in, say, Indonesia? They probably don't lose sleep over potential tort actions.

Vladimir,

Perhaps you're right, but I dare say that I think the shop would give strong consideration to any subsequent loss of business due to such an accident once the word spread about that a diver was lost due to it's poor equipment maintenance.

But I suppose there do exist shops which have no business conscience at all . . .

Nothing is perfect.

the K

A dive shop in, say, Indonesia? They probably don't lose sleep over potential tort actions.

It really depends. I can't speak for Indonesia, but I don't live in the US, and all the dive shops around here are PADI dive shops; they assert that they all follow PADI standards, and they all obtain their insurance through US carriers. I am pretty comfortable they don't had over death trap regulators to tourists.

the K

Kraken...... I think the author of this thread left long ago after serving it up as troll bait.... :shakehead:

But I doubt that any shop wants to offer itself up to litigation, however, I've rented gear from shops before that was sub-standard and had issues. (massive free flows on regs, broken BC buckels, broken power inflators, etc).

to me, it's pretty clear that some shops do NOT maintain their rental gear, which most of the time doubles as instruction gear.

However, I'm sure a lot of this is inflicted by their customers/students that don't take care of the gear like it would be their own and don't report problem/breaks. :shakehead:

I know, Mike . . .
. . . it was pretty much a rhetorical observation.

the K

I prefer my own regulator but sometimes you have to rent. Being in the military we were on a trip up in alaska. So naturally I brought my snowboard. Things changed and we went down to hawaii for a few days. I didn't bring any dive stuff, but I wasn't NOT going to dive. The dive would have much more comfortable with my own gear but I still had a great time.

I'd like to smack "Andy the Manager" topside for looking only at certain parts of this thread.
AtM made a good point though. Is there anyone on this website who has NEVER rented any piece of diving equipment or had tanks filled while not watching? Just wondering. I'm certain ATM is a gentleman irl. Nonetheless, a small *smack* to AtM. I'd quote his msg but my computer won't let me.

When I was doing my open water course, they taught me to thoroughly go over all your equipment on land before the dive to ensure there are no suspicious faults. Breathing through the regs while the air is turned on to make sure that you can breathe and then while it is turned off to see if there is air leaking will tell you whether the reg is good or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom