Do pool dives count?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have logged one pool dive. It was part of the NAS 1 underwater archaeology course where we had to work on different methods to measure and document underwater artifacts. As I recall, the total dive time was over an hour in a fifteen foot pool. This was a real learning experience.

I don't log the time I spend in the pool as a DM helping instructors on any courses. As others have said, it is your log book to keep your personal experiences. Hey, there are so many different types of forms for the log book that there really is no standard anyway.

Ted

As I said it isn't my opinion, it's the agencies. First of all it has to be open water, not a large bath tub and usually at least 15 feet for 15 minutes. Then again I don't care what anyone else does, just me :)

It is good to know that NAUI has the simliar standard to PADI, 20 min/20ft.
Actually, that is another reason why I set up 21 min for my log book. As for the depth, I don't see any open water sites that is less than 30 ft. So, I don't worry that much on that part :) Yeah, I always hit the bottom......:wink:

NetDoc:
NAUI considers it a dive when the depth is greater than 20 ft for a duration of 20 minutes. Most pools do not meet the requirement. If I did that, I would TRIPLE my dive count. Bwahahaha! Too funny!

NetDoc:
NAUI considers it a dive when the depth is greater than 20 ft for a duration of 20 minutes. Most pools do not meet the requirement. If I did that, I would TRIPLE my dive count. Bwahahaha! Too funny!
Years ago when I took my OW with PDIC I asked my instructor this same question. He told me to ask my dive computer. If I got in the water and my dive computer logged it as a dive, I should too.
Good enough for me.
Chris

Vtdiver2:
Years ago when I took my OW with PDIC I asked my instructor this same question. He told me to ask my dive computer. If I got in the water and my dive computer logged it as a dive, I should too.
Good enough for me.
Chris

Hmm going by that i managed 12 dives in one day last month during a river clean up :)

String:
Hmm going by that i managed 12 dives in one day last month during a river clean up :)

Would you log a drift dive in a river of 10ft max depth?

I have recorded some pool sessions in my log book and what skills were reviewed, new gear checked out, etc. I do not count it as a dive. It is mainly recorded as a reminder to myself when I did it. I have a separate sheet for "pool sessions". Mostly just lists date and why and time.

IF i was in there an hour possibly but probably only once.

My log book is for my own person use, i tend to log things of note/interest. If it was a working dive in 10ft of water such as a cleanup then id probably log it (but as one dive not each descent!).

Ive logged dives as short as 8 minutes when they were done with the sole objective of either performing or teching a skill.

Ive never yet logged a confined water/pool dive though.

This question is a joke....Right? Is this troll city?

Bottom line, it's your log. I sure wouldn't want to show up to a place where I would have to produce my log and have most of my logged dives be in a pool!!!
HAW!! HAW!!!

Last weekend a 6 min dive out in the middle of Lake Erie ~ called because of 6-8 waves, and a 28-31 mph wind, beating on the dive boat.

I logged it, I had to climb my butt up that ladder on a boat that was rocking like that, I want to remember how mother nature tried to teach me a lesson on August 21, 2005.

In a pool, log it as training if you want.

Back
Top Bottom