Do pool dives count?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haneym:
dude, that pool looks sweet. lots of fun and nice clean water. great place for training!
Apparently, they'll be doing PADI courses there soon.

Just about everyone is correct... WHat I like to do is log my pool dives seperate and my real dives in my log book...... I love to look back in my logged dives....
3 hours in a pool may not be deemed a real dive but it is a relaxing dive hehe :) clay

I like that idea Craborn! I will say that you can learn a lot in a pool, and if you have a pool in your yard/apartment complex you can work on skills but that dosent make it diving. Folks are goona say I have 500 logged dive which may mean 50 actual dives and alot of time in the pool.

I don't have CMAS rulebook on me so I can't tell what the rules say. However, while going through my training course we were told that pool dives do not count and also no dives where you are required to do training exercises.

CMAS requirement for P** trainees: minimum age 15, at least 20 dives as P*, of which 10 must be deeper than 30 ft.

Anyway, I don't log pool dives..

Cheers
Bojan

Bo-jan:
I don't have CMAS rulebook on me so I can't tell what the rules say. However, while going through my training course we were told that pool dives do not count and also no dives where you are required to do training exercises.
Anyway, I don't log pool dives..

No certifying agency has ever read my logbook. my logbook exists as my record of my diving. New divers always ask tons of questions about what goes in their log books like it's some sort legal document. Nope. their log book is their personal record of their diving experiences. It's like a diary. The PADI police won't come looking for you if you put a pool dive in your book. Same goes for not recording the water temp, remaining air pressure etc.

In 18 years of diving I've produced my log book once for somebody to read to assess my experience for my diving on their boat. They flipped through it and let me dive. There are no pool dives in my book, but there is a cat rescue from under a dock that is in my log book -- it was a great dive.

I decide whether I will dive with you after talking to you -- a log book could be a fake -- who knows -- A while back I asked a potential buddy about his experience: He said his first dive outside of the OW class was the morning dive, I did the afternoon dive with him. Good dive. His sixth. All I really require is an honest answer about your dive history, I pretty much don't need to read your diary to see if I want to date you.

Maybe that's the answer.

Log pool dives seperately. I wish I had understood all those years ago WHY the logbook was as important as it is. Maybe I would have tried to keep better records.

Sometimes you just wish there was a delete button to erase the dumb things you do or say. :frown:

PerroneFord:
Maybe that's the answer.
Sometimes you just wish there was a delete button to erase the dumb things you do or say. :frown:

Sometimes I'd like to erase dumb things I've done too.
Sometimes I'd like to just forget them -- but if I try my wife reminds me!

ernie

fookisan:
Have the opportunity to do dive and work underwater in pools. Do these pool dives count in the dive log?

Dan

Depends on whether you log for educational purposes or just the sheer, rippin' hell of it. I'm pretty sure PADI requires it to be open water (or I could up my numbers by a third in one fell swoop) - but come to think of it maybe seal teams or bubblemakers get to log their pool time.

I guess you could log them if you wanted. I don't see any point to it but sure, go ahead. I head to a pool on sunday afternoons which is 20' deep and I dive it for 2 hours to practice and work on skills. Do I log this - NO. The reason? IT IS A POOL FOR CHRIST SAKE!.
Perhaps you should head to a wave pool, log the dive, and get an instructor to sign you off on a current diver certification card!!

If the water you are diving in has 4 walls and a floor within 20-30' of the surface I don't think you can really call that a dive worth logging!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom