Do pool dives count?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can log whatever you want. Its for personal use.

It's all up to you if you want to log them. However, if you go on vacation and go with someone who requires a looksee at your log, they might not be too impressed with a ton of logged pool dives.

Personally, I use my log as a personal dive diary, of sorts. What kind of work are you doing in pools anyway?

Most agencies wouldn't count them and I wouldn't count them myself. After all a 3 hour dive in 6 feet of water may not impress :)

fookisan:
Have the opportunity to do dive and work underwater in pools. Do these pool dives count in the dive log?

Dan

Good question. I don't know the official answer. I guess official may be the wrong word. It's your log book -- if it felt like a loggable dive to you, log it.

Here in Vancouver we occassionally get the opportunity to "dive" the dolphin tank at the aquarium here to clean it. it's over twenty feet deep, salt water, cold, drysuit required... feels like a dive to me.

Now I can't remember if I logged it or not! :D

ernie

To me... No way. I only count on the dive that is more than 21 min bottom time in open environment. But, who cares! It is your log book. :)

As stated above you can log whatever you want. I even logged a 4 minute dive to 30 feet because I had to go get a whole weight integrated rig that someone dropped. I did not want to forget that.

If you are asking what PADi thinks, they say that a dive is when you spend most of the time below 15 feet and breath at least 50 cubic feet of air or stay below for at least 20 minutes.

This is a great question. I intend to log mine.. here is why:

I will be using my pool to work on hovering, finning, trim, valve drills, air sharing, touch drills, etc. What difference does it make if I do this in 10 feet of water in the ocean, or 10 feet of water in my pool. The fact is, I am on compressed air, I'm in my suit, etc. Whether an agency counts it or not is up to them. I can work on my skills DAILY in my pool. If I have to wait for an opportunity to jump off a boat to work on my skills, I will be that much worse a diver in a year.

Some of the springs around here aren't much deeper than 10 feet anyway. Should I not count those?

fookisan:
Have the opportunity to do dive and work underwater in pools. Do these pool dives count in the dive log?

Dan

Al Mialkovsky:
Most agencies wouldn't count them and I wouldn't count them myself. After all a 3 hour dive in 6 feet of water may not impress :)

Don't mean to disagree, but I will.

I live on a float home and recently the outlet pipe to my holding tank came loose.
You an reach the break from a hole on my deck -- it's a foot and a half under water (salt -- pacific ocean -- cold)

Now the only way to reach the break is to dive. Max depth about 6 feet, circle under the holding tank and come up between the concrete flotation and the holding tank -- your chest rubs the holding tank while your tank valve is against the concrete -- but you can't come up far enough to get any part of your body out of the water, so if you get stuck you drown in about a foot and a half of water.

I remember the commercial diver I called tell me he wouldn't do it, so at that point I back out and begin figuring a way to fix it from the surface.

Max depth 6 feet. max time 3 minutes. Very dangerous dive. I don't think I logged it, but that was more me being lazy/not needing to. I tend to just log fun dives.

Sorry, I'm rambling..

If you dive in a pool, and you add to your diving experience and knowledge, why not log it?

ernie

NAUI considers it a dive when the depth is greater than 20 ft for a duration of 20 minutes. Most pools do not meet the requirement. If I did that, I would TRIPLE my dive count. Bwahahaha! Too funny!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom