Do Yo Support Your Lds??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If LDS is any legit dive shop then I support them (all). I buy 0% online and as long as there is a shop left I will support it.

I suppose that saving some amount on a mask or tank online is OK, but in the longer view I don't want to pay $20 + for a tank of air, and when all sales are online I think that is what it will cost. Nitrox will be $30 I guess. The compressors (5)at my LDS tally up to just a bit over $700,000 with filters and plumbing. Equipment maintenance isn't free and and takes a few hours per week. Repairs cost a fortune when needed and electricity isn't free either. Filling is 20 employee hours per day and when sales are online only we will all pay the real price for air, not the partial price we're paying now. Wanna discuss the cost of the boat?

Originally posted by dkigreg
I suppose that saving some amount on a mask or tank online is OK, but in the longer view I don't want to pay $20 + for a tank of air, and when all sales are online I think that is what it will cost. Nitrox will be $30 I guess. The compressors (5)at my LDS tally up to just a bit over $700,000 with filters and plumbing. Equipment maintenance isn't free and and takes a few hours per week. Repairs cost a fortune when needed and electricity isn't free either. Filling is 20 employee hours per day and when sales are online only we will all pay the real price for air, not the partial price we're paying now. Wanna discuss the cost of the boat?
So what you're saying is that you'd much rather let a clueless newbie subsidize your fills than cover the true costs yourself?

Let's do some math...
No... I hate math...
You do the math...

Total up all the $$ you have spent at the LDS on dive gear...
Total up all the $$ you would have spent if bought online...
Subtract...
How much would a compressor cost for your needs...
Subtract...
Give this as a donation to your favorite LDS...

Win/Win :D

(this was meant to be funny and I am not seriously proposing that anyone actually do this... your LDS provides much more than air fills and what can be purchased online... they are your friends and are there to help you.)

Originally posted by metridium

So what you're saying is that you'd much rather let a clueless newbie subsidize your fills than cover the true costs yourself?

Not just mine, yours too...

What I am saying is that when you compare LDS prices with online prices and omit the rest of what the dive shop offers the diver, newbie or ancient, then you sing the death warrant of the LDS. Exactly like Wal Mart did to the family merchant on main street USA. You can now buy a cheap TV, you just can't get one fixed anymore.

I am not familiar with all dive shops and I am sure that some are gouging their customers, and certainly customer education can identify this practice and eventually eliminate it. But online gear buying will kill the dive shops that are not now supporting themselves on travel, boat operations and/or other sorts of services.

Are you going to buy another cheep reg or get the one you now have repaired / serviced? Who is going to do it? Do the math, if the reg repairman did nothing but repairs 8 hours a day what could he make? 10 regs a day, 350 dollars, some to rent and utilities, some to new parts, add in the cost of tools and the initial buy of parts... he won't be able to send his kids to college without a subsidy.

Please bear in mind that this is my opinion based on 30+ years in diving and 20+ as an instructor. I do not mean it as an attack on anyone, but I believe it to be true and will act / react accordingly.

If LDS is any legit dive shop then I support them (all). I buy 0% online and as long as there is a shop left I will support it.

What LDS in St. Louis has 5 compressors and does 20 hours worth of fills a day?

Mu LDS is in NC, Morehead City. Yeah I live here but I dive there and I buy there, heck I worked there...

Mu LDS is in NC, Morehead City. Yeah I live here but I dive there and I buy there, heck I worked there...
So let me get this straight....

you don't really support your LDS...

instead, you travel long distances to buy your gear....

so do you get any fills there in the St. Louis area?

Would you mind explaining to me again how that is so superior to having the UPS guy make the long trip for ya? :confused:

For those of you who support the LDS, my hats of to you. For those of you who wish to be independent and probably think your safe too.. Check out www.scubacompressor.com and buy your compressor with your saved money PLEASE!!!! The LDS is better off without you..Simply because everyone you see in the dive shop you'll try to explain your Philosophy of buying on-line versus buying from the LDS. However; I understand smart shopping and saving money. I love to Save money. Please just keep shopping for a LDS you actually like. I know there are hundreds of poor shops out there. Keep giving someone else the chance. If at that point all dive shops in your area truely stink....Then the heck with it!

:mean:

My local shop makes you feel like you are part of a family. I love going in and hanging out with them all. The owner is the same guy who was there back in 1989 when I got my "C" card and he has not changed a bit. I am hoping when I finish my time in the Navy that I will be able to work in his shop as an instructor and anything else I can do for the shop. It is the greatest shop in the world......

Rich :balloon:

Originally posted by metridium

So let me get this straight....

you don't really support your LDS...

instead, you travel long distances to buy your gear....

so do you get any fills there in the St. Louis area?

Would you mind explaining to me again how that is so superior to having the UPS guy make the long trip for ya? :confused:

In my mind it is supporting a dive shop, one that services equipment, teaches several agencies up through tech certs, and runs dive charters 300 times a year. If you see no difference between that and buying online (from wholesalers not dive shops) then my case is perfectly made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom