Do you buy lobster tails?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought of that but the human subjects problems would be insurmountable.

I have boycotted Red Lobster since I watched the program(+/- 2 years ago). I also carefully watch where the lobster tail I do eat comes from. I do not eat lobster from Central or South America. I will be willing to donate my old compter the next time I buy a new one. I will be watching this thread to find out what I need to do. If I buy another computer any time real soon I will probably be served with divorce papers. (I may need a place to stay for a while)

Deepstops idea could also be done another way: Someone interested in DCS research might be willing to help fund this program. Putting wrist computers on these divers might be a DCS data goldmine.

I hesitate to propose this because of the history that surrounds experimentations on people, but maybe there is a way to do it:

Has not thousands and thousands of such occurrences already been documented across the world? Time and energy may perhaps best be spent with free computers and diving instruction...

I just tried calling Bob, I've not talked to him a few years and his number is not in service. His websites seem to be down too. I found some things on the web that suggest he may have passed on ... I sure hope not. Anyone got any leads? Please PM me. I'm putting other feelers out too.

I saw a presentation regarding these divers and their DCS issues, but am not sure computers will solve the problem. As I remember it, the problem was they had to go much deeper to get the lobsters, but were doing the dives with tanks that didn't have SPG's attached. After too many dives, they were forced to made a CESA from 100' because they ran out of air. Unless the computers were integrated, (and you could keep them from selling them off for food!) they wouldn't help.

Also these divers are driven by the Lobster exporter. I thought the tanks and regs belong to the exporters, not the divers. The exporter is in it for the $. They need to be pushed into better safety training and protocols.

The boycott of these lobsters makes sense to me, but I'm not sure what else would really help.

Attacking the problem from both ends makes some sense. Supplying computers and teaching the divers that the computers can help them avoid DCS, that DCS does not come from seeing a mermaid, might just help.

I saw a presentation regarding these divers and their DCS issues, but am not sure computers will solve the problem. As I remember it, the problem was they had to go much deeper to get the lobsters, but were doing the dives with tanks that didn't have SPG's attached. After too many dives, they were forced to made a CESA from 100' because they ran out of air. Unless the computers were integrated, (and you could keep them from selling them off for food!) they wouldn't help.

Also these divers are driven by the Lobster exporter. I thought the tanks and regs belong to the exporters, not the divers. The exporter is in it for the $. They need to be pushed into better safety training and protocols.

The boycott of these lobsters makes sense to me, but I'm not sure what else would really help.

I saw the same special about the divers on the Meskito coast. I doubt computers would help all that much. I think they would get violated all to hell and be useless after they locked out after the first few dives. SPG's would help more, but I bet they would take that to the max and stay down as long as air allowed but would at least avoid a complete OOA.
I have a strong hunch that the tyrants that run these operations are slave drivers and if the divers don't perform and get as many lobsters no matter what the cost, they get cut loose and the next young stupid diver comes in to take their place to get exploited.
What needs to happen is an over seeing body similar to OSHA that would regulate the industry. Until the slave driving is changed not much else will change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with ZKY that government pressure is needed. Having worked in manufacturing for 30 years, I can assure you that most businesses in the US would quickly scale back their safety activities and cut their budgets, were it not for the constant threat of OSHA inspections and sanctions.

It's my understanding that many of these divers use homemade Hookah-type rigs, with a tire-fill or shop-type air compressor and garden hoses, so an SPG may not apply.

From what I saw they used bottles and single hose regulators.

Back
Top Bottom