Do you Drink and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
It’s a good thing the 60's are over and I left the drugs behind because there have been some cool night dives where, in my younger days, a little psychedelic assistance would have been tempting.

Oops, did I say that out loud:11:

ooooohhhh look at the colorrrrrs :shades:

suthnbelle:
I'm a light weight so it doesn't take much to fog my brain or get me talking wwaayy too much. :D Mel

That urge to start talking, with a regulator in your mouth..... don't want that to happen :wink:
Seriously, I have no problem with drinking on occasion. But I never mix drinking with diving. I would not consider it, not worth the risk. Nor would I knowingly dive with someone who did. Diving is all the high I need.....

Lisa0825:
ooooohhhh look at the colorrrrrs :shades:

HA! You knw exactly what I was thinkin
kaleido11.gif

mermaid8773:
Had a friend get REALLY mad at her buddy for having 1 beer 3 hours before a dive. I'm just wondering, basically, if it is justified......

Alix

I beer three hours before a dive is not going to hurt anyone.

I think a better question is do you drink and drive :11: But one beer three hours before driving is not gonig to hurt either, as the alcohol is out of the system if one drinks one beer and then waits three hours.

My buddy dove Coz, and said that Beer (a beer) during the SI was fairly common.

I myself have not dove after drinking. However I did do an 8am boat dive after drinking a bit more wine than was necessary the night before. Hey, when your on vacation, and hooking up with dear frends that you see once a year or less, it's difficult not to do a bit of drinking even if one knows there is a dive the next day.

I make damn sure I'm hydrated well if I have been drinking any alcohol the night before a dive. I also try not to over enduldge... like avoiding shots, and sticking to beer or wine.

Cheers!

There's been a similar thread to this before so if you're interested:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=81012
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=111518

Post #4 on the first is drom Dr. Deco so can shed some light on this.

As for after, that all depends on your dive profile and how much exercise follows (climbing beach stairs, long walk with gear to your car, etc.). Remember, even after a deco stops and out of the water, you body is still off-gassing residual nitrogen. Replacing lost liquids from the dehydration effect of diving with alchohol doesn't make sense.

I definitely won't drink and get into a hot tub (Dr. Deco had an opinion on this http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=117016&page=3).

All that being said, if I've got a long leisurely boat ride back from the dive, a beer or a glass of wine CANNOT possibly hurt ... but if it's a risk, I'll take that risk. Besides, I'll enjoy the stay in the Chamber much, much better.

Newbie here... definitely won't be drinking right before diving.... as far as thenight before goes, I intend to try not to, or try to only have a few early in the evening. The problem is that the folks I travel with are divers and pretty major partiers, and turning down a drink from them is practically an Olympic feat! I've never hung with them during a dive trip though, so I am hoping they tend to take it much easier the night before a dive. Otherwise, I may just have to lock myself in my hotel room for the night!LOL

Far out man. Now that brings up a new train of thought. Has anyone ever dove on LSD, or shrooms, or peyote (not LDS, but LSD)? I think it might be pretty cool, but would also be extemely dangerous! I'm too old for that stuff anyway. Flashbacks are easy to come by, especially when I listen to the Dead.

Any form of intoxication has the potential to interact badly with nitrogen narcosis, so diving 'high' on anything is going to be a bad idea. The other problem is going to be dehydration and inhibiting offgassing. So, having a beer 3 hours before diving probably isn't a good idea because of the residual dehydration. Drinking at night and then going on an early morning dive is also probably a bad idea. And its probably a good idea to treat drinking like hot tubbing and not do it for 1-2 hours after surfacing...

Dive1Dennis:
That urge to start talking, with a regulator in your mouth..... don't want that to happen :wink:

So you've never been u/w and were dying to say something? :D This is when hand signals come in very handy. Also, if you knew me you might actually understand the propensity to talk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom