Do you Drink and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wont have more than 2 beers the night before i go diving , and the two beers will be before a full nights sleep . Ive actually turned down a few trips cause i got a call in the morning asking if i wanted to go, but a drank like mad the night before.

Hardly drink... so, no, I don't drink the night before or during a dive... I'm already impaired without the alcohol :D

I remember reading something about surface tension of blood and increase chance of VGE (Venous Gas Event/Embolism) when alcohol is in your system. My memory is vague on this... does anybody know?

after two dives ,went to lunch and without even a second thought i had two beers with my lunch, as i finished the second beer my dive buddy pointed it out to me, i was going to be diving soon after, oooops it never even occured to me at that time what i was doing, have never let it slip my mind again and never will, she was a great dive buddy to be looking out for me!!!!

There's drinking and then there is Drinking. I've had a cold beer during a surface interval before.

I never dove impaired or hungover and think that would be a bad idea.

I ran with a colorful crowd of divers recently in Honduras and we did have a good time after the dives were done. All of those that were diving the next day seemed to manage replacing the cork in the bottle and those that didn't usually missed the morning dive.

I like diving 100% unimpaired because I get more out of the dive that way. ALWAYS hydrate yourself.

I'm curious as to how many divers "smoke 'n dive". wink wink :14:

Sea ya

Most likely most of the guys who do will never post.

I never witnessed anyone drinking prior to a dive but I've seen a fair amount of hard drinking the night before on various resorts. Even heard an instructor secretly recommend it as a great cure for hangovers on one occasion. Cowboy stuff.

Then of course there are all the popular myths about drinking champagne underwater on new years eve, at underwater weddings etc.

Personally I think it's an effing stupid thing to do. You wanna keep your wits and you wanna be able to rely on your body when you're diving.

I've sometimes had a beer or two with lunch between my morning and afternoon dives. Didn't think much of it and no one said anything about it not being a good idea.

I'll follow this thread though, and maybe I'll skim the 'similar' threads listed below to try to gouge how significant the off-gassing effects are. Is this just theory, or is there some empirical research to quantify the effects of alcohol on diving as well? If so, what have the results been? Does DAN have any data on this?

proyce:
Far out man. Now that brings up a new train of thought. Has anyone ever dove on LSD, or shrooms, or peyote (not LDS, but LSD)? I think it might be pretty cool, but would also be extemely dangerous! I'm too old for that stuff anyway. Flashbacks are easy to come by, especially when I listen to the Dead.

Just think, you wouldn't even need to be narced to hear lobsters talking...

I would never drink before or after a dive, the risks out weigh the advantages.

When I'm diving, I'm on vacation. (Even if it's just a weekend trip.) Yes, I'm going to drink in the evenings, but I'm very aware of what my limits are. (sometimes my limits are quite liberal, but that's only in rare cases) One thing I will never ever ever do again, and that is, get involved in a tequila shoot-out. Oh lord...:14: :flush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom