Do you hate BP/ wing arguments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mverick:
Man, I've had things on my BP hang up on fishing line. On recreational dives on recs. I'd hate to have a regular POSER TECH BC on and a console swimming behind me on one side and an octo behind me on the other side.

I've gotten hooked on reef dives too. Where fishing line was strewn out.

I've seen divers trying to swim away while there octo was hung up on a rock. Multiple times.

And, being more comfortable on the surface in a regular jacket. Not me. I can inflate mine and lay on top like a couch. I'm more comfortable that way. And without blowing it all the way up. I just hang at the surface like everyone else.

I like a crotch strap. Keeps my bc from moving. Used them on my old BC also. And I like the weight belt. It is a pain. But putting on a BC with 20lbs in the pockets is a pain also. In fact. More of a pain then a weight belt.

If you like a standard BC great. But there are definately some problems you need to know about. When letting your Console and octo fly behind you...

To each his own.

I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out than wear a weight belt (can't remember having worn one since OW class).

Octos and consoles, I should point out, aren't part of the BC (except the HUB), but I'm sure you knew that.

NetDoc:
How many of you actually have to dive with weights? I need a couple of pounds when I am wearing a 3 mil in salt and only have an AL80. But I never need them in fresh or with my steel tanks (single or double)(even with my dry suit). I'm not even sure where my weight belt lives any more!

I wear 8 lbs non-ditchable in salt with a BP/W.

I just got my BP/W, from Hollywood Divers. It's a DiveRite setup and after adjusting it to best of my knowledge, the plate was pushing pretty hard on my lower back and that was only with a steel 80??? Haven't dived it yet, but doing long shores walks with it could hurt.

OEX2:
Personally I have dove and owned many different types of BCD's - starting with oral inflated horse collars nearly 30 years ago.

I will say that my technique as a diver has vastly improved since going to a BP/W. I no longer fin with my hands. I can maintain my buoyancy within inches of where I want to be. I no longer silt out the bottom, yet I'm hovering only inches above it. My tank no longer wants to turtle me because my weight distribution has evened out. I have trim and can remain horizontal either face down or supine. Inversely, I have a very hard time doing these skills when I occasionally use my other two BCD's.

I my opinion OEX2's problem is not which type of bcd he uses but his skill level. Anyone with 30 years of diving experience should have stopped "finning with his hands" eons ago.

Roz In Phx

Roz In Phx:
I my opinion OEX2's problem is not which type of bcd he uses but his skill level. Anyone with 30 years of diving experience should have stopped "finning with his hands" eons ago.

Roz In Phx

Um ... let's not take this to a personal level.

FWIW - I dive with the guy, and there is nothing wrong with his technique. In fact, he's a pretty skilled diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't want to hijack the thread(before it dies) but if we're going to play who wears less weight try this. Salt water, 3-4mil No weight- And the other day. A buddy wanted to try my Bp/Wings w/ double 108's. So I grabbed his Chute 2 w 8lbs intergrated. I slowly dropped down to around 30-35 ft. I was in my drysuit(trilam) So Fresh water, trilam drysuit w polypro undergarments 8 lbs!!! Who's going to beat that?? ND??? Any takers??

Oh yea both setups AL80-HEHEHE!!! Read it and weap- Oh and I have a weight belt I bring it along on every dive. I never know when someone needs to borrow one.

ShakaZulu:
I just got my BP/W, from Hollywood Divers. It's a DiveRite setup and after adjusting it to best of my knowledge, the plate was pushing pretty hard on my lower back and that was only with a steel 80??? Haven't dived it yet, but doing long shores walks with it could hurt.

Sounds like the harness isn't adjusted properly. Either that, or your torso is just not built for this particular plate. The DR plate is about an inch longer than some other "standard" models ... such as DSS or Oxycheq ... and the corners are less rounded. For certain body types, this may present the sort of difficulties you're experiencing. Far more likely however that the harness straps just need some adjustment.

Are you using the standard, deluxe, or TransPlate harness? If you'd like to shoot me a PM, perhaps I can help you troubleshoot the problem. Certainly you should not be experiencing the plate pushing down on your lower back. In fact, I find that long shore walks is one area where the BP is actually more comfortable than a standard BCD.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Nothing beats my Chute II for those long leisurely strolls to the springs. :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Um ... let's not take this to a personal level.

FWIW - I dive with the guy, and there is nothing wrong with his technique. In fact, he's a pretty skilled diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

This wasn't meant to be a personal attack - I was just going by what he said. He said that prior to using a BP/W (i.e. ranger & nighthawk) he needed to fin with his hands. Maybe since he got his BP/W he has been doing more diving, become more confortable and now has better buoyancy skills.

The point I was trying to make and probably didn't do a very good job of it - is that a BP/W is not going to improve your skills, only practice improves your skills.

Roz In Phx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom