Do you like to find things underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a new diving related hobby, and my primary dive buddy (my husband), does not share my enthusiasm. When I dive, I like to swim close to the bottom, very slowly, and try to find stuff. It all started a while back when my daughter and I found a ditched weight pocket. Later I found a really cute crawfish fishing lure. Then a snorkel keeper. Then another weight pocket. It has been addictive for me. I like to look for stuff. I think this could be something like photography, thats best done solo, but I am still way too new to be considering that. I am not looking for advice. Only wondering if other people are always looking for "the prize at the bottom of the box" like I seem to want to do.

Julie

I dive underneath a marina and pick up all the fishing poles .
full tackle boxes ,anchors, deck chairs, cell phones ,sunglasses ,
I love treasure hunting.
Chris Joens

I like to pick stuff up. I've recovered tackle boxes and anchors for the most part. The anchors are good for bartering with fishermen.

Most of my diving this year hasn't yielded much, but a bit over a month ago, my pal Dave and I went diving on the north shore of Higgins Lake. First dive I found a 20lb fluke anchor on the bottom, that we went back and recovered on the third dive. Second dive I saw a bit of line running across the bottom and wound it up to find an ice fishing rig, still in pretty good shape. Third dive, I found a small bag of lead sinkers, and we recovered the fluke anchor, which is now gracing the corner of my flower bed by the front door. Yeah, I love to find and keep things found on the bottom, as long as I'm not in a marine sanctuary! We found a golf ball on the bottom in Big Tub Bay in Tobermory, but it was in protected waters, so I showed it to my buddy and put it back. Probably of historic significance....

I think everyone, at least most of use enjoy finding stuff "lost".

I typically take it fairly slow on most dives looking for small clues of sea life or other potentially interesting things.

Always had a interest in treasure hunting ever since those younger days of pouring through the National Geographic when they covered some shipwreck or another.

Fascinating stuff!!

Well, this is what we do. Beside finding historical items, ie: cannonballs, coins, etc. The best little find was an encrusted broken knife. Upon inspection the knife blade was broken off. I cleaned the handle with a solution of mild acid and found the name "old timer". A quick search on the internet turned up the manufacturer. One e-mail later they said send it to them for a free replacement "Life time guarantee". I now have a new $35.00 old timer knife.
Keep looking!:wink:

I've found a few anchors, lead weights, snorkels, masks and a dive table. I'm always on the lookout for old dive knives...I have yet to find one. Even though the stuff I find is totally useless to me, it is sort of like a treasure hunt.

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
We found a golf ball on the bottom in Big Tub Bay in Tobermory, but it was in protected waters, so I showed it to my buddy and put it back. Probably of historic significance....

I've begun to suspect that golf balls may be some kind of indigneous life form in inland waters.......and if not, who has that kinda of swing?

I love finding stuff, it's great practice for buoyancy control picking up golf balls. Besides, my landlubber buddies appreciate them.

woof

There appears to be a salt water varity as well, in Malibu, I have found over a dozen. Plus a cell phone, 3 knives, a pair of sissors, a pair of pliers, 2 anchors, and a spear tip.

cruising the local lake looking for 'treasure'...all I came up with was cans, bottles, fishing tackle, 3 pair cheapo sunglasses, a snake skin, two T-shirts, and one golf ball.

When I was getting a fill after the first dive, the guy at the LDS told me one of his friends recently found a diamond ring appraised at $5500...inspired me to do the second dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom